Guidance Needed! Initial LinuxCNC/PncConf setup

More
21 Feb 2023 19:32 - 21 Feb 2023 19:43 #264977 by Sray69
I have finished the electrical cabinet and have connected the LCNC computer to the Mesa 7i76E and they are communicating. 

My configuration:
Debian Bookworm
LCNC 2.9
Mesa 7i76e
X&Y Stepper Motors - Nema 24
Z Stepper Motor - Nema 23
Digital Stepper Driver - DM860T
Axis (3 axis) configuration - XYYZ (I only have limit switches on one of the Y axis's)

I am trying to do the initial setup in PncConf but am having trouble understanding some of the settings. When I try to Test/Tune Axis I get no movement at all. Here are my pncconf settings.

When I click Run on the X Axis Tune window I see the Hal Meter windows running but nothing at the motors.

Also when I turn the PS for the drivers/motors on the motors have resistance (holding power). If I try hard enough I can turn them but not as easy as when PS is off. I assume this means that the motors are wired correctly?

Could use some guidance.
Thanks

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Feb 2023 19:43 by Sray69.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2023 21:23 #264985 by 0x2102
I suspect the step/dir timings are off. The Pncconf default timings are fairly high and should work. 
Leave the "drive enable" pins unconnected. Drive is enabled by default

Try these settings

DIRSETUP = 15000
DIRHOLD = 10000
STEPLEN = 5000
STEPSPACE = 5000

Next, try some of these timings here:
www.forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxc.../36856-dm860a-driver

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sray69

More
21 Feb 2023 22:16 #264987 by Sray69
Hey thanks for that. I actually saw some movement.

But it seems hit and miss. Some times when I go into the Test/Tune Axis screens I can get the axis to move using the +/- buttons on the Tune window. Other times the motor will not do anything. Even if I close the test windows and then go back in they will not work. Sometimes if I go back and to the Mesa card Configuration Page and Accept Component Changes and then go into the Test screens it may work or may not. Sometimes when I press the Run button it will cycle back and forth non-stop and other times it will just stop and I cannot get it to start again. Very inconsistent.

I have been messing with the timings but have not figured out why the inconsistencies.

Any ideas?

More
21 Feb 2023 23:21 #264990 by tommylight
Save the config, open LinuxCNC with that config, on the "machine" menu choose "calibration", tune there.
Do not forget to click "test", "OK", "save to file" before closing.

More
21 Feb 2023 23:57 #264993 by Sray69
I followed your instructions but I am not sure what it is supposed to do. I opened the file and it loaded. I went to machine>calibration and was able to see the settings. I was also able to save the file but I am not sure how to get it to move. Nothing seems to work.

When in the Calibration>Test environment the amber light is on on the Mesa board as it was when the motors would stop in pncconf. So nothing would move. Being new to LCNC I am kind of lost on how to manually move the axis's around.

I have also read about how in order for the two Y axis motors to work together I need to set Home. When in pncconf and testing the Y axis, only one motor turned. Any help on setting Home would be appreciated.

Thanks!

More
22 Feb 2023 00:10 #264994 by andypugh
I am moving the amber light post to the driver boards section.

More
22 Feb 2023 20:03 #265063 by Sray69
Now that I have fixed the error, can someone help me figure out how to manually move/test/fine tune my axis's?

I have loaded the config file I created in PncConf but am not sure what to do now.

Thanks

More
22 Feb 2023 21:46 #265070 by Sray69
I cannot for the life of me find how to do the initial Homing of my axes. Everything seems to be locked until I can set Home for all axes. I have read through all the documentation I can find but it all seems very complicated and does not really show how to do it.

Is there a step by step tutorial or something?

More
23 Feb 2023 03:53 #265096 by cmorley
I don't see a Y limit switch input, only an X, Z, and Y2.

I would think you need both Y and Y2 to square the axis.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds