work offset

More
12 Jul 2012 03:22 #21813 by jy76
work offset was created by jy76
after perusing I have figured there isnt a great wok offset table, I would like to modify axis to show g54-g59 work offsets and be able to edit them from there, also would like to implement a common offset feature. I have no idea how to do this but have seen a couple of similar questions in the forum. as i do multiple operation parts a w/o table would greatly simplify life thanx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2012 11:05 #21819 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:work offset
Do you have multiple fixtures? That is the indented use for g54-59.3.

You might want to read the Subroutines and Work Offsets part of my Linuxcnc Tutorial .

Can you elaborate a bit on what your doing?

John

More
12 Jul 2012 15:59 #21835 by jy76
Replied by jy76 on topic Re:work offset
yes john multiple fixtures, eventually converting to 5 axis, also moldline matching and ready access to g staions for documentations, would like something like a mazak work offset table, as this makes adjustments and shift offs much easier. Also makes it easier to document any changes and once i have my sub plate built it makes it easier to store gstations at pin locations to decrease set up time and ensure repeatability. as i have just recently got the machine up and running its not a great rush just something i would like to have a sit works well with my programming style and experience thanx

More
12 Jul 2012 17:10 #21837 by BigJohnT
Ok, you will want to look at the parameters that contain the values for each axis for the coordinate systems. I could see where you could read in the current offset and increment or decrement it by an amount. Is this what your talking about? If so I know at least one other who would like to see this.

You might look at using the Glade interface for Linuxcnc to create your coordinate table editor...

John

More
12 Jul 2012 17:50 #21838 by jy76
yes john thats exactly what I would like to do is to be able to edit one or all gstations from one section of the gui. Im taking it that this could be done with glade? and attach the mentioned parameters to the glade ui? is there a tutorial on how to do that? I didnt see anything when perusing glade that link params, just pins/ widgets or would this be a widget? Im sorry for my ignorance on this subject, I am willing to learn how to do this and contribute the result as I feel it would add greatly to the "commonality " of linuxcnc to commercial units i.e. mazak/ fanuc etc thanx

More
12 Jul 2012 19:48 #21842 by BigJohnT
I'm not an expert in GladeVCP but if you start a topic there the guru should surely see it.

The GladeVCP docs are here . I do know that one chap built a whole GUI using GladeVCP...

John

More
12 Jul 2012 20:15 #21844 by jy76
thanx john will do

More
13 Jul 2012 11:48 #21871 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:work offset
I have a s suspicion that this is something which will turn out to be less useful than you expect.

Using the touch-off feature (which itself basically uses G10) allows you to measure the fixture locations using the axes themselves, which saves transferring numbers across, and also cancels out a number of possible inaccuracies.

There is no harm in trying this feature, I am just warning you that you might find you don't need it.

More
13 Jul 2012 12:42 #21874 by BigJohnT
I think the useful part would being able to move your fixture location by a couple of thou in some direction to dial in a part. Same thing for the tool table to dial in a cutter as it wears... I agree that it might not be useful for setting up fixtures unless you could just move to say each side of the fixture and press a button to set the G54-59.3 offset... Wonder if anyone has a screen shot of the Mazak offset setup screen. Of course none of the above would be useful to me as I don't do long production runs of parts and only do a few at the most of a part.

John

More
16 Jul 2012 13:30 #21992 by jy76
been busy programming and running , could not find a mazak screen which i like much better but here is a fanuc lathe screen similar but not as descriptive and user friendly. Also andy having used this system making aerospace parts it is tremendously valuable and much desired, in fact all manufacturers include a similar table just happens i like the mazak best. Now I do realize a mazak I dont have. but well get by. John I have not yet tried your suggestion of the other gui as I am trying to get a prototype part DONE!!!! hey thanx guys have a good one and heres that pic img514.imageshack.us/img514/7452/ofset.jpg

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds