UI Development Environment - Setup Help

More
02 Jun 2018 00:26 #111421 by cmorley
I'd think one could get it to work with stretch - i've just run out of time to try. ( I did try more stuff with the mint install)
I'm traveling for work soon so can't get back to it for a couple weeks.

I prefer using Mint my self. and I always compile linuxcnc - but I'm a developer so I've been doing it a while.
In this way you can use whatever combination of linuxcnc version you want / need.
Mint is just worlds better the Debian IMHO but it's not the official way.

It would be nice if the official stretch ISO had the required libraries/programs installed.
Making gladevcp and new GUI's seems to be getting more popular.
Maybe the developer that made it didn't think about it....

Chris M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2018 00:48 - 02 Jun 2018 00:56 #111423 by InMyDarkestHour
You can install 2.7-uspace in wheezy

1. Add 2.7-uspace after 2.7-rtai to the /apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc.list on the deb & deb-src lines (sudo needed)
2. sudo apt-get update
2a. I've ran sudo apt-get dist-upgrade before editing the sources file, then edited the sources file and ran sudo apt-get update again
3. sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-uspace (this will also install a rt kernel)
4. Reboot and choose the rt kernel

I just performed this in vitualbox running wheezy and everything install and I was able to run axis simulation, just the confirm the process, I do have a SSD that I can dual boot either wheezy installation with rtai & another with uspace. (I used gparted to copy the first install to some unused space and then installed the uspace packages)

I haven't got my mesa card yet, but I'm assuming everything is ok in the 2.7 uspace packages.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2018 00:56 by InMyDarkestHour. Reason: Extra info

More
02 Jun 2018 02:03 #111431 by Sparky961
Are there any good reasons not to try using Mint as the base install? I'm grabbing 17.1 and 18.3 xfce right now (on a slow connection, watching a movie while waiting...).

Is it rhetorical to ask why there needs to be such an incredibly confusing array of options?

More
02 Jun 2018 03:10 #111434 by InMyDarkestHour
It's Linux....so there is all the freedom to do it how you want :)

Did you try installing the uspace packages on a wheezy install ?

More
02 Jun 2018 03:23 #111436 by Sparky961
No, not yet. When I first realized that it didn't work out of the box I wasn't aware it was possible. Discussions here led me to installing Debian Stretch, but then I ran into other problems as described in this thread.

I thought just to complicate things more <sarc> I'd try a different distribution and see how things went. I suppose that's the huge advantage with virtualization. You can easily try out a number of options.

More
02 Jun 2018 03:34 #111437 by InMyDarkestHour
I've got linuxcnc working with a slackware based distro as well. Just to throw another option in hahaha

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds