QtVCP file save

More
27 Feb 2019 03:40 - 27 Feb 2019 08:43 #127220 by phillc54
QtVCP file save was created by phillc54
Attached is a patch that uses the same dialog for saving a file as is used for opening a file.
I have attempted to follow the same procedure as for opening files, hopefully I have not overlooked anything.
One thing I would like to add as I think this is a personal preference would be to have a setting somewhere (preferences???) that if set would also load the file into the machine control after a successful save.

Cheers, Phill.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2019 08:43 by phillc54.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2019 11:01 #127238 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic QtVCP file save
That's great work Phill.
It's made me think more about the dialog requests message protocol.
I'm much preferring the newer 'dialog-request' using a DICT of commands, rather then separate file-requests, save requests and dialog requests.
I'm thinking making them all dialog requests with different DICT messages and removing the load and save GObject messages.

The nice thing about the DICT message is that in the future if we need to add capabilities it won't break older style code.

So I envision that the gcode-editor will request a save dialog to get the file name.
that will be returned to the gcode editor and the gcode editor will actual hold the code for saving (using your ACTION code) and that would be the place for adding the preference file option to reload after saving.

I'll work on your patch tomorrow.
It's great to have someone else adding code - Thank you!

Chris m
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
28 Feb 2019 00:22 #127301 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic QtVCP file save
Thanks Chris, that sounds like a plan.

On my screen I removed the buttons for hal show etc. etc. with the intention of using the mdi_line but I kinda snookered myself because it seems the machine needs to be on and homed to enable mdi_line. So...
1. Would it be feasible to enable mdi_line when out of estop but only allow commands other than CALL_MDI.
2. mdi_line only accepts upper case for these commands. I think if someone went to the trouble of entering these in lower case they probably meant to enter the command.

Cheers, Phill.

More
28 Feb 2019 04:36 #127305 by cmorley
1) my only thought against this - is that it will lead users to believe they can sent MDI commands before homing - It would give them an error I suppose so not a big deal.
Here is a question - do you think you need this capability often or just when debugging something? If it's just for debugging -and debugging is rare we could have that behavior with a 'debugging mode' switch.

2) The upper case idea cam from Pilot Path I think. My thought is it would be hard for someone to accidentally invoke a command (say in a gcode comment) if we used all caps. I am not against allowing lower case and see if it's actually a problem.

More
28 Feb 2019 05:15 #127306 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic QtVCP file save

1) my only thought against this - is that it will lead users to believe they can sent MDI commands before homing - It would give them an error I suppose so not a big deal.
Here is a question - do you think you need this capability often or just when debugging something? If it's just for debugging -and debugging is rare we could have that behavior with a 'debugging mode' switch.

Not often, it is just that personally I like "single page" screens so it is more with this in mind so I can save a bit of real estate.
Your idea of a "debuging mode" sounds good, maybe invoked by a setting in preferences.
Doh! I just realised that I can do this from the handler file...

2) The upper case idea cam from Pilot Path I think. My thought is it would be hard for someone to accidentally invoke a command (say in a gcode comment) if we used all caps. I am not against allowing lower case and see if it's actually a problem.

No worries, that was my lazy self thinking, I can handle using the shift key as well.

Cheers, Phill.

More
28 Feb 2019 08:00 #127312 by cmorley
Ok we can revisit this if required later.

Chris

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds