Gscreen Industrial Glade Modification

More
04 Jan 2020 02:57 #153949 by mmt
I need a little assistance modifying industrial.glade. I already have it in the config directory along with the industrial handler file and I have created some standalone glade screens for other projects so I am a beginner but not a total rookie.

In the attached pic I drew what I want to achieve. I basically want to move (or duplicate, doesn't matter to me) the axis buttons circled in red to the location where the red buttons are drawn. Also move or duplicate the current tool number down where indicated in blue.

I have can create all of now but it doesn't appear when I run linuxcnc from the command prompt and verify the correct file is loading.

The whole frames thing is still new to me so I'm not really sure what i am doing wrong.

Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2020 03:42 #153952 by cmorley
So If I understand you have built a new GLADE panel for gscreen but it is not loaded, the default one is?
Or are you asking how to do this modification?

Gscreen will use a 'local' GLADE file if it is present in the config file and named exactly like the original (industrial.glade in your case)
this process works just like the handler file from your other thread.
Running from the terminal should give clues what file is being used.

Oh wait you said you did confirm the file is loading ! great.
As you see in the GLADE file all available dros and buttons are present and Gscreen will only show those axes that are actually available.
It does this by setting the DRO/button widgets not visible then setting the visible when it confirms the axes are availble. By moving the widgets they may be out of context of the code. If you copied/moved the widgets then they will still be set invisible.
If you select the widget then check the properties on the right hand tab under 'common' look for 'visible' make sure it says yes.
If that doesn't help you , please post your modified file.

In general:
gscreen often relies on the name of the widget for reference - if the widget seems to have a fairly specific name, then make sure your replacement widget is the same.
I usually didn't attach signals in the GLADE file but you might check before copying them, as copying doesn't copy the signals choice.
In this case there are no signals attached - it just uses the widget names.

Also in industrial the tool number and system number are combined in one label.
If you want to leave the system number where it is and just move the tool number then a little bit more code is needed.

Chris

More
04 Jan 2020 20:59 #154021 by mmt

In general:
gscreen often relies on the name of the widget for reference - if the widget seems to have a fairly specific name, then make sure your replacement widget is the same.
Chris

That was all I needed Chris. Sorry you typed all that out.

I nearly have all my issues with this retrofit fixed thanks to you. I have not changed the looks of gscreen much but I do have some changes that make it operate a little more like a commercial lathe control. It addresses some complaints that I have seen on here from the individuals that are used to commercial lathes. Once I get them all buttoned up I would like submit the changes so others may use them also.

Anyway, one last problem and I will leave you alone I promise :).
I'm attaching my glade file. I can not for the life of me figure out how to make the font bigger of the System# and Tool#. (G54 and Tool XX) that I moved. I can change colors, weight, and everything but not the font size???

Thanks
Kent

File Attachment:

File Name: industrial.glade
File Size:248 KB
Attachments:

More
04 Jan 2020 21:35 #154031 by cmorley
Unfortunately font selection is not available for labels in the GLADE editor.
Try something like this added same place the other mods are in, in the handler file.:
self.widgets.system.set_font("sans 18")
sans is the font type, 18 is the size other options are available depending on whats on the system.

I would also be happy to introduce any upgrades you come up with as long as they don't have super specific requirements.
I am happy that anyone is using Gscreen - so none of this is a bother.

Linuxcnc updates so slowly that I haven't done any real development work in Gscreen for 4 or 5 years - I assume not many uses it lol.
It seems maybe it just takes that long for the released code to be used by more adventurous tinkerers.
I'm sure it will be the same for qtvcp - that I am currently working on.

So please yes post your finished work when you feel it's ready.

Chris

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds