GUI - internal code / HAL connect

More
12 Jun 2023 10:19 #273381 by zz912

Biggest reason is because HAL came after NML. 

So HAL and NML are on the same level? I thought NML was superior to HAL.

I would like to ask if HAL is an invention of LCNC or if HAL is used in more programs?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2023 12:58 #273391 by cmorley
HAL is a linuxcnc invented library.
Not sure what you mean by 'level'.
I wouldn't describe either as 'superior' - they just do different things.

More
12 Jun 2023 13:07 #273392 by cmorley

Aciera post=273335 userid=25994

All current GUIs would be broken to some extent.
There is no need to break anything.
Python components can already create hal pins. So if somebody wanted they could write a hal-connectable GUI right now.

I do believe zz912 means using HAL for all linuxcnc's internal motion controller data and motion controller communication. This is not currently possible. Building a HAL based i/o on top of NML commands is what halui does.

More
12 Jun 2023 13:23 #273394 by Aciera
Yes, I'm thinking more along the way of a Gui that exports pins to connect some signals to halui.

More
12 Jun 2023 22:05 #273424 by spumco
I guess that's what I was thinking the OP was describing: all GUI communications in/out of LCNC would be done only through HAL.

I guess I should have thought further... of course GUI's can create HAL pins.  I'm using them on my mill and it never occurred to me in my earlier response.

More
13 Jun 2023 04:50 #273440 by newbynobi
moved this, because it is not gmoccapy related

More
13 Jun 2023 05:29 #273441 by cmorley

Aciera post=273394 userid=25994Yes, I'm thinking more along the way of a Gui that exports pins to connect some signals to halui.

Most GUI export HAL pins.
Actually using HALUI can often be problematic, particularly with jogging. It would be better to have the GUI own all this and they could, there is nothing special about HALUI - anything it can do any GUI could be programmed to do. Now if HALUI could message into the GUI that would probably the best of both worlds. I tried dabbling with ZMQ with HALUI but didn't get very far.
'

More
13 Jun 2023 06:14 #273442 by Aciera

Actually using HALUI can often be problematic, particularly with jogging

Hmm, can you elaborate on that?
Personally I prefer physical buttons for anything that moves the machine so I tend to use machine panels interfacing through halui.

More
13 Jun 2023 10:12 #273464 by rodw

Personally I prefer physical buttons for anything that moves the machine so I tend to use machine panels interfacing through halui.

Me too but I prefer to use the Mesa MPG inputs... But yes, I agree  halui is really for physical controls.

More
13 Jun 2023 13:06 #273484 by cmorley

Mostly in jogging axis selection and jog rate. the problem depends heavily on how you utilize screen verses external controls. each UI has it's own idea of current jog rate and current selected axis.
There have also been some rare command race problems.

HALUI uses the same internal messages that a GUI does, I don't see how it's very different safety wise -ie it's not realtime.

Chris

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds