Master branch gantry example

More
26 Feb 2018 04:13 - 02 Jul 2018 20:44 #106523 by rodw
This is a minimalist example of a gantry machine using The independent joints (some call it joint axes) that exists in master branch.
While this is based on my Mesa 7i76e, the concepts should apply to a parallel port.
Note the only place the axes are defined in the KINS section of your ini file
[KINS]
JOINTS = 4
KINEMATICS = trivkins coordinates=YYXZ

All of the Hal pins and signals use joint numbers and exes have been banished.

Now all we have to do is to convince the custodians of stepconf and PNCCONF to follow this code example which will substantially simplify maintenance of the config and allow you to swap the origin of your machine around at will simply by changing the coordinates in the kinematics statement. This will require some changes to their current input screens.

Also, this lets you swap between axis and gmocapy GUIs just by commenting/uncommenting out the display file in the INI file
[DISPLAY]
DISPLAY = axis
#DISPLAY = gmoccapy

File Attachment:

File Name: my_LinuxCN...-rod.hal
File Size:13 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: my_LinuxCN...-rod.ini
File Size:5 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Jul 2018 20:44 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cncnoob1979, Yannis, Desertboy, snoozer77

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2018 03:38 #121098 by snoozer77
Hi Rod,

Hope all is well. So after quite a while tinkering with the 7i76e you sent down to Vic for me, im going to use it in my little cnc router (currently running GRBL aduino).
The hal and ini you have here will be very helpful as i also have duel y axis steppers.
Just had a question regarding linux mint and 2.8 with preempt rt. Do you have any suggestions on where to learn how to load and compile linuxcnc on mint. I have looked through a few threads with one being 55 odd pages long, its a little hard to follow along.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Matt

More
21 Nov 2018 09:24 #121109 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Master branch gantry example
Matt,

Glad you are getting going. Sometimes I'm sorry I sold that. I had thought of getting it running on my desk so I could develop some stuff.

Personally, I would skip Linux Mint today and just run with the debian Stretch ISO
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/code/building-linuxcnc.html

The last time I got Mint running on my Windows laptop I installed a lot of other software and by the time I got to compiling LinuxCNC, all of the dependencies were met. I just followed the official docs
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/code/building-linuxcnc.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: snoozer77

More
21 Nov 2018 10:22 #121112 by snoozer77
Thanks Rod. probably bigtime overkill running the mesa on my little cnc, im playing with a china bob and Parport at the moment. If the time comes and you really want another 7i76e, just yell out. i might not end up using it.

The info you linked is exactly what i was chasing.

Cheers mate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds