EMC2 auto maximized at startup

More
22 Jan 2012 17:56 #17021 by fgauder
This is a step by step explanation of one way to get EMC2 to open maximized at startup.

A. Automatic Startup is explained in section 33.2 of the Integrator Manual. You go to System > Preferences > Startup Applications and click Add. Browse to your config and select the .ini file. When the file picker dialog closes, enter “EMC2” in the Name box and add emc and a space in front of the path to your .ini file. Example: emc /home/mill/emc2/config/mill/mill.ini

B. Opening maximized is a little more complicated. This method is going to use the program Devil's Pie.

1. Open a terminal by going to Applications > Accessories > Terminal and type “sudo aptitude install devilspie”. Enter your password and confirm that you what to continue, when asked.

2. While still in the terminal, create a new directory to store your devilspie configuration file. You do this by typing “mkdir ~/.devilspie” and hitting enter.

3. Next, type “sudo gedit” and hit enter.

4. In the gedit window that opens type “(if (contains (application_name) "axis")(begin(set_workspace 1)(maximize)))”.

The above states that if the application, set to begin automatically at startup, contains the word “axis”, it will be set to workspace #1 and maximized. If you're not using Axis as your GUI, insert an appropriate word. If you're using Compiz instead of Metacity as your windows manager, change the word “workspace” to “viewport”.

5. Save the gedit file as “EMC2.ds”, or whatever .ds file you would like it to be, in the .devilspie directory you created in #2.

6. Open a new document in gedit and enter the following lines:

#!/bin/bash
sleep 20 && devilspie

Note: You can adjust the sleep time. If it's too short, it won't work. If it's too long you wait. Mine works at 10 but not at 5.

7. Save the gedit file as “devilspie_starter” in your home folder.

8. Go to System > Preferences > Startup Applications and click Add. Browse to the file created in #7. When the file picker dialog closes, enter “Devil's Pie” in the Name box and click Add.

That's it, it should work. Good luck. I tried to find an existing explanation of how to do this but couldn't. So, I worked this out on my own and acknowledge that there are probably better ways to go about it. If you know of one, please post it in a reply. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2012 18:20 #17022 by BigJohnT

More
22 Jan 2012 19:57 #17023 by fgauder
John, thanks.

I wish my searches had turned that info up a few days ago. Is there a way to attach keywords to threads, even after they have developed, so that searches don't have to be so specific?

Frank

More
23 Jan 2012 11:23 #17038 by BigJohnT
The only thing I know how to do is make things like that sticky so they stay on top. I don't see any way to have keywords attached to a message other than editing the message I guess.

John

More
28 Jan 2012 03:39 #17214 by dab77
Hi BigJohn, two questions:
1- I've tried the .axisrc method, but it seems not to work. I use to call axis from a terminal, because of a rip. may this be the issue? also i miss some explanation on what the lines should mean..

2- together with axis, automatically other two windows are opened: a gladevcp and a vismach one. i would like to make them "always on top". Is there a way to do that?

Thanks, Davide.

More
17 Dec 2015 21:37 #67106 by jtc

You can also use the .axisrc file

linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/component...view&catid=21&id=320

John

broken link.

How can it be done on .axisrc ?

João

More
17 Dec 2015 22:04 #67112 by BigJohnT
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtc

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds