Newbie needs startup help!!!

More
06 Sep 2012 17:56 #23985 by thos913
I am a complete newbie to linux. I was running my homebuilt 48 x 48 cnc router on windoze but had problems with it dropping steps. I spoke to a programmer friend and he suggested Linuxcnc. I formatted the machine and loaded linux 2.5.1 and linuxcnc. Immediately on startup the machine froze as it tried to open axis. I could not find a reason for this but was able to change to the mini gui and it works like a champ. I have configured the machine and it runs fine using the mini gui. I have read that axis has a tool touchoff utility but I see no mention of it with other gui packages. Is it possible to use the touchoff with other guis or should I be able to fix axis. I am running a Dell GX240 it has 512 meg of memory. it says it has an agp video setup and has a P4 processor running at 1.8 ghz. As earlier stated I an a Linux newbie and dont understand a lot of this. Any help would be appreciated. Please keep it as simple as possible

Thanks
K Norman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2012 21:31 #23990 by andypugh
thos913 wrote:

Immediately on startup the machine froze as it tried to open axis. I could not find a reason for this but was able to change to the mini gui and it works like a champ.

That is almost certainly a graphics card or open-gl problem.

Try these suggestions:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Troubl...oting#Display_Issues

More
07 Sep 2012 10:25 #24007 by Rick G
Have you tried both 8.04 and 10.04 from the live cds?

Rick G

More
16 Sep 2012 23:34 #24317 by thos913
I got the problem with the axis GUI fixed. It was a video driver. Now I am still trying to figure out the tool touch off. I cant seem to figure out the tool touchoff setup. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

K Norman

More
16 Sep 2012 23:38 #24318 by andypugh

I got the problem with the axis GUI fixed. It was a video driver. Now I am still trying to figure out the tool touch off. I cant seem to figure out the tool touchoff setup. Any help would be appreciated.

What part of it isn't behaving like you expect, and what do you expect?

More
17 Sep 2012 11:26 - 17 Sep 2012 11:31 #24328 by Rick G
Last edit: 17 Sep 2012 11:31 by Rick G.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds