Linuxwould not start today -5

More
18 Nov 2012 05:32 #26729 by hickory
Really appreciate the feed back. I did as you suggested, set the set the para-port reset time to 5000, and changed all the micro-stepping to 2 step/step. I checked all the settings on the drivers and they are set to 1/2 stepping. Yes the BOB is opto-isolated and I don't have a clue on how to isolate the one(s) on the BOB. And yes it is 8.3 amps. The system will run at these settings and I changed the max jitter to 50,000 but still get the unexpected delay in real time at initiation of linuxcnc. An hour of running GLXGEARS with several windows open and moved produced a max jitter of 33,000 with out internet connection nor opening docu.doc. Z axis still not close on scale.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2012 17:30 #26742 by cncbasher
as far as the latency issue is concerned , it's difficult if you feel you have the bios set correctly , it may just be that this particular motherboard is a pain for linuxcnc
and probably best to try another one perhaps . but it may be worth trying the older version 8.04 which does suit some old boards quite well , so all is not lost at the moment

linuxcnc.org/iso/ubuntu-8.04-desktop-emc2-aj13-i386.iso

once we get this latency issue corrected then we can look further , just in case it is a related issue
The following user(s) said Thank You: hickory

More
20 Nov 2012 05:48 - 20 Nov 2012 05:55 #26814 by hickory
Fat fingered this - reposted
Last edit: 20 Nov 2012 05:55 by hickory.

More
20 Nov 2012 05:51 #26815 by hickory
Just again to satisfy my self that the BIOS is as good as I can make it, I systematically went through the settings again. I then did a total reinstall of Ubuntu 10.04 using the entire drive for 10.04 and Linuxcnc. When it first came up the latency reading with glxgears running and fooling around in the file system was good, in the order of 1600ns. I left the latency run over night and had a hit at sometime producing a reading of 300,000+ ns. The good news was that with nothing running but linuxcnc, I am not getting unexpecting delay tags that were a constant before. I have also downloaded a fresh copy of Umbuntu 8.04 and will try that if the system stays jittery. I also have a new Matrox video card on order and will trade out the nVidia card presently installed, I did not load the recommended nVidia driver this time after the re-install which appears to be a better condition. I'll post again with any results after I spend some more time with the machine . Thanks again for the sharing of your experience and your time.

More
20 Nov 2012 07:03 #26816 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Linuxwould not start today
Your not running the latency test and LinuxCNC at the same time are you?

John

More
21 Nov 2012 02:28 #26833 by hickory
Replied by hickory on topic Linuxwould not start today
No just glxgears overnight. Thanks for asking.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds