Anyone have configuration for CheapCNC cnc router?

More
29 Nov 2012 06:22 #27060 by rickm45@gmail.com
Hi,

I have a "cheapcnc.com" cnc router. Would anyone have an existing, working configuration for it?

Anyone heard of it even? I went to archive.org hoping to find their website but no luck. I think it was a Canadian company that sold it for maybe $1200 originally, which could be 10 years ago. It is working on Windows and I have done a few simple things on it but I would really like to be on linux.

Thanks for any help,
Rick Morrison

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2012 07:31 #27061 by BigJohnT
Can you tell us more about it? If it is a Mack I can convert the xml to a stepconf file for you.

John

More
29 Nov 2012 13:00 #27069 by rickm45@gmail.com
Well... as I said it was sold by www.cheapcnc.com of which I cannot find any record. It comes with MAXNC which is working although I would prefer to run in linux over MS-DOS. I have successfully run some files from the trial version of Vetric Cut2D with MAXNC.

I know it's not much but this is as no-name a machine as you can get.

Thanks, Rick

More
29 Nov 2012 19:43 #27075 by BigJohnT
Not much to guess with... we need to know if it is using the parallel port to send step and direction signals or what. Maybe some photos of the electronics...

John

More
29 Nov 2012 19:57 #27077 by cncbasher
i'm guessing the shireline 3 axis will be close , but as said previously , if you have any information on the electronics or perhaps the configuration file from the windows programs will help
or even a picture of the electronics etc , we should be able to work it all out

More
30 Nov 2012 13:28 #27096 by rickm45@gmail.com
I'm afraid I don't have a lot of additional info. Yes, it is a parallel port connection to a breakout box (circuit board is labeled "MAXNC" in the box).

No config file to be found. I will start MAXNC this weekend and see what configuration I can find in the program.

I've attached some pictures of the unit, the breakout box, and a stepper motor.

I appreciate the help, Rick
Attachments:

More
30 Nov 2012 21:32 #27099 by BigJohnT
Looks like the drivers are built into the break out box. Do not hot plug anything! Always make sure the power is off when you plug or unplug anything.

When you apply power do the motors lock up? If so then your getting power to the motors which is good.

I can't tell if the router is controlled by the break out box or not but with a parallel port you only have so many pins to pick from. You could use the parallel port tester to find the step pins for each axis then guess which pins are the direction pins. Once you sort out the pins a config is a trivial thing with the stepconf wizard.

linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum/18-...-tester?limitstart=0

John

More
01 Dec 2012 01:51 #27104 by rickm45@gmail.com
I'll try the parallel port tester and plan to do some serious debugging myself.

Thanks for the help, I'll be back when I have another question.

Rick

Time to create page: 0.291 seconds