missing steps?

More
19 Mar 2013 06:35 #31569 by rebeltaz
Replied by rebeltaz on topic missing steps?
I was going to ask you what to do with those numbers :) I'll try that and see what happens. BTW - the motors sound smooth to me. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2013 01:21 #31771 by rebeltaz
I wasn't sure where (or how) to use those lines, so I tried entering those numbers in the StepConf setup program, but the distances moved was WAY off.

I found this page - wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Stepper_Drive_Timing - that suggested the numbers for the TB6560 were 150000 across the board. That was closer, but still no.

So finally, fiddling around, I found that this seemed to move the correct distance (-+ 0.02"):

Step Time: 40000
Step Space: 40000
Dir Hold: 150000
Dir Setup: 150000

Now this moved the Z-axis (pretty close to) 0.5" when given the g0 z.5 command. Odd thing is that if I used the g90 f3 g1 z.5 command, then the axis would move almost 0.9" instead.

Also, I'd like to note that while playing around with the settings, I did notice that the motor ran smoother with Step = 50000 than 40000, but of course the distance was off.

So.....
Attachments:

More
24 Mar 2013 06:17 #31778 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic missing steps?

Also, I'd like to note that while playing around with the settings, I did notice that the motor ran smoother with Step = 50000 than 40000, but of course the distance was off.

That's one of the least obvious "of course"s I have ever seen.

The step time should have absolutely no effect at all on the distance moved. The only way it could change the distance is if previously the step time was right on the minimum that it could possibly be and still persiade the driver to make a step, so that some steps were being seen, and some were not. (Ouch)

You scale should only be a factor of gearing, leadscrew pitch, steps-per-rev and microstepping. Try to work that out by hand (how many step-pulses should it take to move the axis by 1" or 1mm (depending on your setup units). Then see if the number you get matches the number in the INI file that Stepconf created.

More
24 Mar 2013 06:29 #31780 by rebeltaz
lol...

No, that number has NEVER matched what the INI file used. When the machine was moving the right distance, before this last modification, scale was 224000 - that made the machine move the right distance, but it still "dropped down" after each cycle.

More
24 Mar 2013 06:35 #31781 by andypugh

No, that number has NEVER matched what the INI file used. When the machine was moving the right distance, before this last modification, scale was 224000 - that made the machine move the right distance, but it still "dropped down" after each cycle.

I think you need to take a step back and understand what all the numbers mean. If the step-time changes the size of the machined features, or the INI file scale does not match what it ought to be, then something is very, very, wrong with your config.

More
24 Mar 2013 06:51 #31782 by rebeltaz
Yeah, that's that problem ... I don't know what they mean. Especially the Step and Dir settings, since my driver board doesn't mention these.

More
24 Mar 2013 07:20 #31783 by andypugh

Yeah, that's that problem ... I don't know what they mean. Especially the Step and Dir settings, since my driver board doesn't mention these.

It is all in the docs.
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.4/html/config_stepconf.html
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/motion/tweaking_steppers.html
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/stepgen.9.html
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/ini_config.html
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/LinuxCNC_Integrator_Manual.pdf

LinuxCNC is one of the very best documented Open-Source projects out there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigJohnT

More
24 Mar 2013 07:31 #31785 by rebeltaz
Wow! That's a lot of reading! :) I'll get back to y'all in a few days :) Thanks...

More
24 Mar 2013 19:10 - 24 Mar 2013 19:12 #31794 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic missing steps?
If you have a TB6560 you might want to start with the sample configuration for that board. It is a sticky called "Sample Configurations" in this section.

Of course you will still want to understand what drive timings and scale are and do.

John
Last edit: 24 Mar 2013 19:12 by BigJohnT.

More
25 Mar 2013 01:35 #31810 by rebeltaz

If you have a TB6560 you might want to start with the sample configuration for that board. It is a sticky called "Sample Configurations" in this section.

Of course you will still want to understand what drive timings and scale are and do.

John

Oh, cool.. I will try that. Thank you. And I'll read those docs, too.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds