bridgeport conversion 5i25, 7i76 and gecko 203v

More
29 Mar 2013 06:51 #32015 by canner
Hello,

I am lost and need some help.

I have set up the 5i25 and the 7i76, the software is loaded on the computer. I have two amber lights on the 7i76. I have gone through pncconf and now when I run my configuration it does not start and I get an error report. Unfortunately I can't seem to copy or save the error report so I can't attach it right now. To start with can someone tell me how to save the error report or copy it. When I right click on the file after selecting all it does not show any options. There are not any tabs that would allow me to save it either.

Once I am able to load lcnc then I have some questions but this seems like the place to start.

Thanks for any and all help ahead of time.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2013 08:31 - 29 Mar 2013 08:31 #32017 by PCW
There should be a file in your home directory called linuxcnc_debug.txt
post that file
Last edit: 29 Mar 2013 08:31 by PCW.

More
29 Mar 2013 11:28 #32018 by canner

There should be a file in your home directory called linuxcnc_debug.txt
post that file

I feel like I must be doing something wrong but I can't find that file or an error file or any txt file that is close to that. I am adding the screen shots of the error report but I know those are harder to see. If there are any more suggestions on where to find the error report I am open to that.

I was able to find multiple debug files and error messages but not the one you describe.
Attachments:

More
29 Mar 2013 15:17 #32025 by cncbasher
it looks as if your not specifying any firmware file or it cannot find any Bit file ..
also it would appear to have crashed . no doubt .

check you have a bit file installed in
/lib/firmware/hm2/5i25

More
29 Mar 2013 17:16 - 29 Mar 2013 21:42 #32030 by PCW
That firmware message is harmless (since the 5I25 has built in firmware).

It looks like the problem is that linuxcnc was launched but the real time kernel
was already running. This can happen if you already have a linuxcnc
instance or latency test or perhaps pncconf running when you start linuxcnc.
It can also happen if linuxcnc does not exit properly for some reason.

In this case a reboot is probably required.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2013 21:42 by PCW.

More
29 Mar 2013 22:39 - 29 Mar 2013 22:39 #32047 by canner
I have tried restarting it before without any change in outcome but I restarted it again this morning and then tried running my configuration again and it still doesn't start. I put the error report on again.

The first few times that it failed, several days ago, the error report had more information then it does now, I don't know what has changed. It used to have some information on it talking about "kernel taint" but does not list that now.

I can try reloading the whole system and see if it is different.

One thing I didn't mention is that the mother board died on the first computer I set this up on just after pncconf but before I started linuxcnc up for the first time. I had an identical dell computer so I just swapped the hard drive into the working computer. I didn't think it would cause a problem and maybe it isn't but more info.

Thanks
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Mar 2013 22:39 by canner. Reason: spelling

More
29 Mar 2013 22:45 #32048 by PCW
Well thats a fairly easy one, it says that line 57 of your hal file references a non-existent pin: hm2_5i25.0.gpio.034.in
(5I25 GPIO pins only range from 0 to 33). This is likely a pncconf bug unless you edited the hal file yourself.

More
29 Mar 2013 22:51 #32049 by canner

Well thats a fairly easy one, it says that line 57 of your hal file references a non-existent pin: hm2_5i25.0.gpio.034.in
(5I25 GPIO pins only range from 0 to 33). This is likely a pncconf bug unless you edited the hal file yourself.

No, I didn't edit the hal file myself. To fix this I would go in and just delete that line? Or should it maybe be directed to an existent pin?

Maybe this belongs in the pncconf section then.

More
29 Mar 2013 22:58 #32050 by PCW
You can certainly try (and look for other GPIO usage which is probably bogus)

I am surprised that any GPIO pins are is used at all.
Normally GPIO pins are not used with a 7I76 configuration.
It may have to do with some options you selected in
your pncconf session.

And yes I think this belongs in the pncconf section

More
02 Apr 2013 07:10 #32173 by canner
Okay, I got my issue with Pncconf sorted out and now my inputs are on the 7i76 and not the 5i25 and l can open linuxcnc with my configuration. My next question is probably obvious but not clear to me.

When I wire the 7i76 into the g203v drives does it mater whether I use + or - on the step and direction? If that doesn't mater then does my common wire from the g203v go to ground on the 7i76 TB2 connector?

I have wired it to step & dir. - and then common to ground or common to +5v and am not getting any motion when testing any of the three axis. wither way.

Time to create page: 0.394 seconds