bridgeport conversion 5i25, 7i76 and gecko 203v

More
19 Apr 2013 11:57 #32898 by canner

I am still not quite right, and Andy was right, you need absolute value function.

On the7I76 there are 3 spindle control HAL pins:

spinout (unsigned spindle analog output setting)
spindir (spindle direction OPTO, on if true)
spinena (spindle enable OPTO, on if true)

so
OUTPUT_MIN_LIMIT = 0.0
OUTPUT_MAX_LIMIT = 1800.0

Is correct for the _unsigned_ spindle speed
(not sure if the driver allowing a negative number here is a bug...)
and net spindle-vel-cmd must be run through the abs component
before its connected to hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.spinout

EDIT: Since this started with a pncconf generated configuration, when this gets straightened out
the working spindle code should probably be posted to the pncconf forum so the proper hal boilerplate
can be incorporated in pncconf for 7I76 configurations

It has been a few days since I could work on this but here is where I am at:
I am connectiong the abs.0.in pin to spindle-vel-cmd
and then connecting abs.o.out pin to hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.spinout

Is this correct. When I tried this I got an error message stating that only one out pin could be connected to the spindle-vel-cmd signal. The other out pin is motion.spindle-speed-out.

This is all new to me but I am trying to learn it as I go along but some more help would help. If I am correct that the abs.0.in and abs.0.out pins are both needed then what do switch so that I am not trying to connect two out pins to one signal.

If this is not correct and I don't need the abs.o.out pin then what should it look like?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2013 21:46 #32927 by PCW
Not sure if your pncconf created HAL file is close enough to this one (from another forum thread
with a 7I76 used on a lathe), but this may help:

I would change:

loadrt abs names=abs.spindle
to
loadrt abs names=abs.spindle,abs.spindle_cmd

and add this line:

addf abs.spindle_cmd servo-thread

and then change

net spindle-vel-cmd <= motion.spindle-speed-out
to
net spindle-vel-cmd abs.spindle_cmd.in <= motion.spindle-speed-out

and finally change

net spindle-vel-cmd => hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.spinout
to
net abs.spindle_cmd.out => hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.spinout

More
23 Apr 2013 13:03 #33040 by canner
Finally got it working right, here is the code for the hal file

loadrt abs count=1
addf abs.0 servo-thread
net abs-vel-cmd abs.0.out => hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.spinout
net spindle-vel-cmd abs.0.in <= motion.spindle-speed-out

I changed back to OUTPUT_MIN_LIMIT: -1800

I realized this needed to happen in order to get a negative value to run through the abs component.

Thanks for the help, I will have more questions like:

My spindle is always making small moves when I have toggled machine power on but have not selected a spindle direction, can I change something in the hal file so that the spindle is not enabled until I select cw or ccw in axis?

Thanks

More
23 Apr 2013 19:04 #33055 by BigJohnT
The hal pin motion.spindle-on is off until a M3 or M4 G code is executed with S being greater than 0.

John

More
24 Apr 2013 11:38 #33116 by canner

The hal pin motion.spindle-on is off until a M3 or M4 G code is executed with S being greater than 0.

John

Okay so the hal file was set to:
net machine-is-on => hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.spinena

and I changed that to:
net spindle-on => hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.spinena

Much better. Thanks for the help

More
24 Apr 2013 16:54 #33126 by andypugh

Okay so the hal file was set to:
net machine-is-on => hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.spinena

Just to point out that "machine-is-on" and "spindle-on" are just signal names, they have no special meaning to LinuxCNC. They may be the default names for those signals in stpconf and/or pncconf, but unless they are driven by the requisite pins from the motion module, they won't work.

As a pathological example, you could happily swap those signal names everywhere in the HAL file, and it would still work, but be very confusing.

More
25 Apr 2013 11:30 #33180 by canner
Andy, thanks for the reminder about the difference between signals and pins. Maybe I should have posted the changes I made in the pncconf section because that was the original configuration coming out of pncconf.

I want to connect my lubrication system up to the 7i76 now. I am just looking to connect a relay that will provide the 120v to the oiler. The control circuit for the relay will run on the 24v that powers the 7i76 field power. I have found an available output pin on the 7i76 (TB6 pin 17 or output0) and connected halui.machine.is-on to hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.output-00 with a signal.

I think that part is right, please tell me if it is not, but then on the hard wiring part do I run a wire from TB6 pin 17 to one side of the relay and then the other side to ground or 24v? I don't think this is right but the correct answer is not coming quickly to me. I have been looking at the manual for the 7i76 and searching the forum but have not found the answer yet. I will keep working on it but if someone could explain it to me or show me where the question has already been answered that would be great.

More
25 Apr 2013 12:14 - 25 Apr 2013 12:14 #33181 by PCW
All 7i76 Field outputs drive loads that have the other side grounded. Here is the relevant manual section:

FIELD OUTPUT CHARACTERISTICS
The 7I76 field outputs are high side or sourcing type MOSFET drivers, that is they
source positive voltage to a ground referred load. For example with a standard 24V field
power, +24V connects to the 7I76s field power input (on TB1) and the outputs on TB5 and
TB6 now source +24V power to loads. All 7I76 loads will have one side returned to ground
or the negative lead of the 24V supply. The 7I76s outputs can drive loads of up to 350 mA.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2013 12:14 by PCW.

More
08 May 2013 11:59 #33752 by canner
Thanks to everyone for the help on this mill, I am to a point that I will stop on this machine and now back to the lathe. I am also learning how to run this machine and that is taking a little bit of time. Right now I am just manually typing in gcode but in time will step up to some type of cad and cam.

More
08 May 2013 18:47 #33767 by BigJohnT
If you have not looked at ngcgui you might want to. It is a great time saver and is used by many.

John

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds