help with z axis (solved)

More
18 Apr 2013 13:27 - 19 Apr 2013 12:59 #32873 by rotccapt
hi all i am very new to this whole cnc thing. i have the basics down and i am using google sketchup with the sketchucam plugin to generate my g code.

so my machine is a hobby cnc 3 axis router. each axis is driven by one stepper motor and lead screws. i did not build the machine so im not exactly sure what pitch the lead screws are but i think i got them all pretty close. i have confirmed that my x and y axis are scaled correctly but my z is not. for the most part i have just been doing mdi commands to test my axis. so when i jog down to what would be my material thickness and home the z axis which would for this instance make my tool 0.25 inches off the bed. if i enter G0 Z -0.25 my tool moves exactly -0.125 inches which should have been -0.25 inches. what would i need to do to fix this problem?

for the lead screws i tried my best to count the threads per inch and i think im at about 17 for the z axis also when i did the test this axis command in step config i noticed that if i gave the distance of .5 inches the z axis moves about .25 either way

here is what the step config generated file shows for my z axis

[AXIS_2]
TYPE = LINEAR
HOME = 0.0
MAX_VELOCITY = 2.2
MAX_ACCELERATION = 44.0
STEPGEN_MAXACCEL = 55.0
SCALE = 6800.0
FERROR = 0.05
MIN_FERROR = 0.01
MIN_LIMIT = -1.0
MAX_LIMIT = 0.01
HOME_OFFSET = 0.0

thank you for your help
Last edit: 19 Apr 2013 12:59 by rotccapt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2013 14:21 #32874 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic help with z axis
Hi

The scale figure controls how many pulses equal 1 unit of movement, in your case 1"

If you are moving 75% of the distance you command, the calculation is quite basic
(6800 / 75) x 100 is your new scale figure, so try that.

See linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/config/ini_co...d_sub_axis_section_a

regards

More
18 Apr 2013 20:45 #32878 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic help with z axis

for the lead screws i tried my best to count the threads per inch and i think im at about 17 for the z axis also when i did the test this axis command in step config i noticed that if i gave the distance of .5 inches the z axis moves about .25 either way

The drive microstepping is probably twice what you think it is. or what you told Stepconf it is.

17 tpi seems very unlikely. Maybe it is 1.5mm?

More
18 Apr 2013 23:13 #32880 by rotccapt
Replied by rotccapt on topic help with z axis
ok i just looked at my driver board and there are a series of jumpers for each axis that tells the board what micro steps to use. the jumpers are set to 1/4 micro steps. in step config i told it 2 and it is working for the x and y axis. so do you think i need to just play with the axis scaling untill i get it right or should i try again with the lead screw counting?

this is my driver/ break out board
www.hobbycnc.com/products/hobbycnc-ez-driver-board-kit/

these are my steppers
#23-205-DS8 285oz-in bipolar rating, 205oz-in unipolar rating. 3v, 3A, 200 S/R, 2.2mH, Size #23, Dual Shaft, 8 wire faster than the 305’s. Good all around choice.

when i do the test this axis command in step config when i tell it the safe move area is .5 inches is this 0.5 to -0.5 for a max travel of 1 inch?

sorry for all the noob questions

More
19 Apr 2013 13:09 #32901 by rotccapt
hi guys i solved my problem with the z axis on my machine.

andypugh you were right the tpi of my z axis was not 17 it was 34.

first i tried just doubling the axis scaling and this did fix the problem but it created a new problem and that was if i did a g0 jog from -0.5 to 0 i would get a joint following error. so i went back into step config and played with the tpi option till my scaling read 13600 which is the scaling i changed earlier then retested the axis to set my velocity and acceleration and this fixed my problem with the joint following error.

i do have another question though in regards to actually using the machine.

with my machine the x and y home will always be the same regardless of material thickness but z will be changing depending on the size stock i use. so should i just home the axis at my material thickness or should i home my z axis at machine 0 and touch off at my material thickness? thanks for your help

More
19 Apr 2013 14:21 #32902 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic help with z axis
it's usual to home machine , and then use touch off at top surface of material and set z to zero

More
19 Apr 2013 17:27 #32905 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic help with z axis

it's usual to home machine , and then use touch off at top surface of material and set z to zero

Just to clarify, this generally means that you work in negative Z-numbers. So a 1/2" deep groove would be milled at Z-0.5.

More
19 Apr 2013 20:10 #32919 by rotccapt
thank you for your clarification. that is exactly what i was planning on doing. i think im going to try and get home switches working but my machine is finaly in a configuration that i can actually use

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds