Control of second Z axis by input from paraport

More
22 Apr 2013 03:46 #32973 by meyerga00
Greetings all,

I'm a bit of a newb and have to date converted a old 3 axis Archdale mill and built a 3 axis router that both run on LinuxCNC. I have a commission to build a machine that will do V-carve routing on the outside of wooden barrels. The OD of these barrels are about 16" and can have a random out of roundness of about 1/2". My plan is to control the V-carve bit in a Y axis - Z axis configuration while the barrel is rotated via the B axis. Due to the random out of round nature of the barrel surface and the need to somewhat accurately control the depth of the V-carve cut , my plan was to have a separate stepper controlled by a sensor that follows the elevation of the barrel surface. This stepper will be used to raise and lower a secondary Z-axis stage that will be controlled by regular G-code that is used to carve the barrel graphics. I want to be able to feed digital input from the sensor to the parallel port and use those signals to control the stepper that will raise and lower the secondary Z-axis stage. Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction as far as HAL commands to control the primary Z-axis stage? A.K.A If paraport pin 13 goes high the primary Z stepper turns one direction until pin 13 goes low and if pin 12 goes high then the primary stepper turns the other direction until pin 12 goes low.

TIA

Greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2013 17:00 #32986 by Rick G
You might want to look at Torch height control for a starting point.

Rick G

More
22 Apr 2013 18:04 #32988 by meyerga00
Thanks Rick for your suggestion.

I''ve been through all the THC stuff and have been getting lost in all the .hal and .ini files and have also been through the HAL, Intergrator, and Developer manuals but are still struggling. Bottom line is I just need to figure out how to output step and direction bits when one of the hardware input pins goes either high or low.

More
22 Apr 2013 18:18 - 22 Apr 2013 18:20 #32989 by BigJohnT
I agree with Rick the THC component is a good starting point as the function would be the same, adjust the Z height based on some input. The thcud might even work better for you if you could just supply up and down from your sensor to the component. The thcud component is here .

Have you read the Basic HAL tutorial? It is a must read to getting a jump start in HAL and you will want to understand the simple way HAL works to undertake this.

John
Last edit: 22 Apr 2013 18:20 by BigJohnT.

More
22 Apr 2013 19:47 #32994 by andypugh

My plan is to control the V-carve bit in a Y axis - Z axis configuration while the barrel is rotated via the B axis. Due to the random out of round nature of the barrel surface and the need to somewhat accurately control the depth of the V-carve cut , my plan was to have a separate stepper controlled by a sensor that follows the elevation of the barrel surface.

I don't see any point in having a separate axis for compensating the out-of-round. That is easily done in HAL with only one motor.

However, you may be over-complicating it... Why not have the whole axis spring-loaded with the cutter protruding through a hole in a plate? The G-code Z-height would simply be relative to the plate.

Time to create page: 0.268 seconds