Carving half the size of G code created in PyCam

More
19 May 2013 06:15 #34359 by Nenad
Hi,

I don't know if someone has already posted a similar issue:

I crated a G code in PyCam

When I open the G code, EMC2 program shows correct dimensions on the screen but the actual dimensions of the carving is exactly half the size. I tried chaning numbers under calibration but no difference.

Anyone has an idea how to fix this?

Thanks,
Nenad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2013 06:21 #34361 by andypugh

When I open the G code, EMC2 program shows correct dimensions on the screen but the actual dimensions of the carving is exactly half the size.

If LinuxCNC thinks that the part is the right size then the problem is in the LinuxCNC setup, nothing to do with PyCAM.

My guess would be that your microstepping setting is not what you think it is. That is, it takes twice as many step pulses to move a certain distance than the machine calibration thinks.

If you open the MDI tab and enter G0 X0 then G0 X2 (or X50 if working in metric), how far does the axis actually move?

More
19 May 2013 06:47 #34363 by Nenad
I am pretty sure that my original setup is not correct as the x axis doesn't use the full range of the machine, but I carve only small objects so I never paid too much attention to that fact.

When I enter G0 X0 the axis moves less than two times the length of the object dimensions shown on the screen, but in reality it travels to to the exact lenght of object that I am trying to carve (30mm). It seems that in reality it travels farther than shown on the screen.

I don't know how to change microstepping, but will try searching on this site.

Any help is more than welcome.
Thanks!

More
19 May 2013 16:45 #34379 by ArcEye

I don't know how to change microstepping

Find the make and model of your stepper drivers and google for a manual

Most are controlled by a set of dip switches either on the outside if boxed, or on the board edge if not.

More
19 May 2013 20:01 #34391 by andypugh

I don't know how to change microstepping, but will try searching on this site.

You don't need to, you just need LinuxCNC to know what it is.

If you look in the INI file in your config directory you will see that each [AXIS_n] has a SCALE entry. (or, possibly STEP_SCALE)
Just double those numbers and restart LinuxCNC

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds