Machine Home vs Part Home

More
22 May 2013 06:47 #34523 by mud99
I have a Novakon Torus mill with homing switches on all axis.

When I press the home button in the GUI, all the axis do the homing routine and are now set to what I would call the "Machine Home"

However, lets say that I clamp a part to the machine, and position all the axis to another point which I would call the "Part home", which is some agreed upon XYZ coordinate which my g-code references from. The position is different every time, due to differences in material, vice setup, etc.

Is their a way to create a button in the GUI which would allow me to store the current XYZ coordinates, so that I could reference it with G54, G55, etc?

I currently write them in using a G10 L20 X0 Y0 Z0 command at the top of my g-code, however this makes it easy to accidentally change the part home since I don't explicitly push a button to set the part home.

Also, if possible i'd like to create another button which does a G0 X0 Y0 Z0 to bring the machine back to part/machine home

Thanks,
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2013 07:31 #34524 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Machine Home vs Part Home
You don't mention what GUI you are using but I will assume AXIS.
AXIS calls it touch off.
You move to reference point then on each axis 'touch off' - you can set it to zero or anything else.

It is possible to make a pyVCP panel with buttons to call MDI commands thru HALUI.
You could make the MDI command G10 L20 P0 X0 Y0 Z0 to zero the axis of the active user coordinate system.

PyVCP makes buttons with HAL pins that you connect to HALUI's MDI commands

Chris M

More
22 May 2013 12:20 #34526 by mud99
Replied by mud99 on topic Machine Home vs Part Home
Ok now I feel really dumb, i've seen the touch off button a million times, I had no idea what it did, it is exactly what I was looking for

Next I need to mill a bracket for my camera and then I should have my homing all sorted.

More
22 May 2013 15:27 #34530 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Machine Home vs Part Home

Also, if possible i'd like to create another button which does a G0 X0 Y0 Z0 to bring the machine back to part/machine home

G53 G0 X0Y0Z0 will bring the machine back to the "machine" home. You could create a button to a mdi command for that.

Rick G

More
22 May 2013 19:53 #34535 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Machine Home vs Part Home

You could create a button to a mdi command for that.

A bit more detail. You can run any single line of G-code using a HAL signal.
For every MDI_COMMAND entry that you put in the INI file [HALUI] section a HAL pin is created called halui.mdi-command-XX where XX starts from 00 and increments.
You also need the entry HALUI = halui in the [HAL] section of the INI.
Any time that the halui.mdi-command-NN pin toggles from low to high, typically from pressing a PyVCP button, the requested line of G-code is called. This can be a call to a G-code subroutine, so can do pretty much anything.
As an example, and connecting the MDI _COMMAND to the coolant-mist tick-box rather than a PyVCP control for simplicity.

In the INI file add the following lines, if not already present. I am using ... to indicate existing INI lines.
[HAL]
HALUI = halui
[HALUI]
# Quill-up on coolant-mist
MDI_COMMAND G53 G0 Z0

In the hal file (it may need to be the postgui one)
net spindle-up iocontrol.0.coolant-mist => halui.mdi-command-00

Rather fewer steps are required in a GladeVCP panel. GladeVCP has an "MDI button" that has a line of G-code as a button property, and it simply executes that when pressed.

More
23 May 2013 17:26 #34580 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Machine Home vs Part Home
and for an example take a look here...
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Adding_Custom_MDI_Buttons

Rick G

More
23 May 2013 17:39 #34581 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Machine Home vs Part Home
The machine origin (home) is usually different from the part origin(home?) after you touch off the tools to the material. Please read about G53 in the manual. Also read my G code tutorials .

JT

More
24 May 2013 07:43 #34621 by mud99
Replied by mud99 on topic Machine Home vs Part Home
You guys are awesome, I love free internet tech support!

I'm really impressed with LinuxCNC, it is really flexible compared to Mach or any other closed source controllers, yet really simple and logical to get running.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds