Mesa 5i20 + step/dir servos, what daughter card?

More
03 Jun 2013 23:21 #35200 by robonix10
Hello everyone!

This is a first time when post to this forum.

Little briefing, I have mitsubishi Step/dir servopacks (takes in 200Kpps my computer gives only 37Kpps) and motors. They are working well with parallel port + BOB but the speed stays low, and when I use electronic gear accuracy goes worse.

I have bought Mesa 5i20 anything i/o card

So here comes questions

-What daughter card do I need?
-Where to find HAL + INI file examples in particularily for Mesa cards

hope someone can push me in the right direction while choosing where to begin.

Thank you for advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2013 23:39 #35202 by cncbasher
you dont say what you are using for spindle control VFD etc , so a good general card for switches and relays go for the7I42TA ( TA= screw terminals )
if you need a 10v analog signal for a vfd or encoders then use a 7I47S , as the 5i20 has 3 banks you could use 2 7i42's and one 7i47 .

configuration for 5i20 is done through using pncconf to create a hal and ini file
but if your unsure ask and we can create one .

best way to see what you need is to list your needs as to step / dir pins , encoders , spindle , switches , relays etc
then match to required addon's

anything your unsure of just ask

More
04 Jun 2013 00:42 #35209 by robonix10
I was planning to do some kind of gantry table which have screws on two sides of the table, so I think I need at least 8 i/o's for the axes. Spindle will probably be VFD driven chinese spindle, those are often on sale in Ebay.

-Limit switces 6 pcs. but I quess they can be in same loop with emergency stop

-home switches 4 pcs.

what else?

These servopacks are not so called closed loop, the feedback from the encoder goes only in servopack.

It might be possible that some day I wan´t to add fourth axis to it, if it will ever be completed. but the option should be taken into account at this stage,

More
04 Jun 2013 00:51 #35211 by cncbasher
ok ...

1 x7i47s and 2x 7i42TA will suit , along with 3x 50pin ribbon cables
you'll need a 5v power supply for the boards or use via the 5i20 , I prefer a separate psu . that is powered all the time , and this is then used to pull any relays or contactors etc

some step direction servo motors do have encoder outputs to feed back , so worth keeping in mind

that should just about do you ..

More
04 Jun 2013 01:54 #35223 by robonix10
OK.Thank you very much!

These are mitsubishi melservo MR-C10A drivers and HC PQ13-UE motors. I have understood that servodriver needs the feedback singnal to work, I have no idea how to take the feedback singnal to servodriver forward to computer. maybe I should forget it at this moment

just looked the price for those cards, they are about 155€

I think that now, I can take one step further.

and start by reading manuals for those cards, and hope that i can understand something about them

More
04 Jun 2013 02:04 #35224 by cncbasher
don't worry , people here will guide you ,
if you have links to the manuals for the drives etc , you are looking at , we can always give them a look over , with any concerns you have .

More
04 Jun 2013 15:59 #35248 by robonix10
Here is the link

avtomatika.info/MELSERVO/MR-C,%20Instruction%20manual.pdf

if you/someone want to look, if it is possible to get encoder feedback out to ---> computer(linux cnc)

More
04 Jun 2013 20:31 #35254 by andypugh

-What daughter card do I need?

You don't _need_ any daughter board at all. It is possible to wire the servo step signals directly to the drives, though there is some risk in doing so of miswiring and damaging the 5i20.
I have stepper drives wired direct to a 7i43 in my lathe/mill combo.

Daughter boards make things a lot easer, and remove the risk somewhat.

More
04 Jun 2013 23:04 #35261 by robonix10
OK Thank you for the information!

I think that my self-confidence with these things are not so great. honestly i'm not an expert :blush:

I guess in the end, it might be more economical to buy those cards. and also 7i47S includes the PWM output for spindle

Overall it seems easier to proceed with ready-made solutions.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds