Plasma Torch On During Computer Shutdown

More
10 Jul 2013 20:51 #36498 by Paul
I usually let me plasma cutter run for awhile without load thinking I am letting it cool down after cutting parts for the day. I almost always turn off the plasma cutter before the computer, but a few times I have been caught off guard by shutting down the computer (using parallel ports) before the plasma cutter and just before the computer is off, the plasma torch is triggered on.

Is there a way to automatically keep the computer from activating the torch relay via the breakout board? I could add a switch to break the relay power, but then I am sure I will forget to flip this switch at some point.

Any guidance or ideas would be appreciated.

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2013 22:10 #36511 by andypugh

Is there a way to automatically keep the computer from activating the torch relay via the breakout board?

It might be enough to change the pin. Some parport pins are hardware inverted, and this _might_ mean that they behave correctly.

A shutdown G-code might be an option (INI file config)

The best solution might be some sort of charge-pump or watchdog circuit.

More
11 Jul 2013 09:56 #36540 by Paul
Thanks Andy,

I did wonder that they were working as designed.Although I have seen the term charge-pump, not really sure what that is. I will also look into adding some type of shutdown g-code. Thanks for the ideas!

More
11 Jul 2013 14:08 #36542 by Rick G
I think the problem is once Linuxcnc shuts down and no longer controls the parallel port you really do not know what state the pins are in or if they will float.

Best practice is to shut down everything before you shut down Linuxcnc and as Andy said...

The best solution might be some sort of charge-pump or watchdog circuit.

Rick G

More
11 Jul 2013 16:21 #36545 by andypugh

.Although I have seen the term charge-pump, not really sure what that is

Something like uk.rs-online.com/web/p/timer-circuits/6867509/

Then you would turn the torch on with an oscillatory output (there is a HAL component called "charge_pump" specifically for this job) and if the oscillations stop (in either high or low state) then the torch turns off.

More
11 Jul 2013 18:45 #36548 by BigJohnT
I just turn my plasma torch off before LinuxCNC and on after starting LinuxCNC. This way LinuxCNC is in control when the plasma torch is powered up.

JT

More
11 Jul 2013 23:15 #36568 by Paul
Thanks for the replies. My plan has been to turn off the torch before the linuxcnc computer, but just forgot this time. I do like Andy's watchdog setup. That would help make sure my absent mind doesn't do it again someday.

More
11 Jul 2013 23:45 #36570 by BigJohnT
You could wire the off button with about 12v when the torch is on so if you touch it you get a reminder to turn off the torch before the computer.

JT

More
12 Jul 2013 10:12 #36585 by Paul
Oh, how shocking.

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds