LinuxCNC starts when PC is turned on.

More
18 Jul 2013 19:01 #36768 by LAIR82
Hello everyone,

I have a project here in the shop, and would like to adapt linuxcnc to control it, I want to build a small piece of equipment that will have 6 servos on it to control the 6 different "axes" of the machine.

I will need homing capability, and manual jogging capability for each servo, thats why I think it will be a perfect fit. We won't be running any programs or anything, I would just like to use the functions already built into linuxcnc.

The kicker of this is, I am not going to have a display or keypad on the control for it, I want to use a few pushbuttons,( POWER ON, INITIALIZE, MACHINE HOME, UNHOME, E-STOP) and build my own MPG to control it.

That's why I am posting, is to see if there is anyway to in this order,
1. press a Machine Power ON pushbutton and have it, turn the PC on, then automatically start Linuxcnc
2. after linux starts I could have a amber light come on, and then the operator would press a "Initialize" button, same as "machine on" and then the amber light would go out and a green light would come on stating that it is ready to be "homed"

I have the part handled regarding turning the PC on, on both of our linux machines now I put a pushbutton on the control that fires a relay. I used the little pc power on button wire harness and wired it through the relay to start the computer from the machine controls.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2013 19:35 #36770 by emcPT

Hello everyone,

1. press a Machine Power ON pushbutton and have it, turn the PC on, then automatically start Linuxcnc
2. after linux starts I could have a amber light come on, and then the operator would press a "Initialize" button, same as "machine on" and then the amber light would go out and a green light would come on stating that it is ready to be "homed"
Rick

1) You can power the PC instantly when power arrives to the power source of the PC. Normally this is a feature in the BIOS. In a server that I have, I made it like this so that the PC powers up automatically for example after the mains got down for any reason. In this way I have the PC powered up most of the time.
To automatically start linuxcnc, you should take a look in:

stackoverflow.com/questions/3358300/prog...-at-startup-on-linux

2) You can use the a pin that will be the inverse of ready to output the condition that linuxcnc is on, but not ready. When ready this pin will be false and will be off.

I hope that I helped.

More
19 Jul 2013 03:23 #36787 by Rick G

Take a look at integrator manual, section 33.2

Rick G

More
19 Jul 2013 17:48 #36800 by BigJohnT
To have a program start when power up just go to the Ubuntu menu System > Preferences > Startup Applications and add linuxcnc /path/to/your/ini/file to the list of startup programs, of course using the real path to your ini file.

JT

More
19 Jul 2013 18:00 #36801 by LAIR82
Thanks Guys,

After looking at it, I might go make both of my turning centers do this as well too.

Thanks

Rick

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds