rigid tapping g33.1 isnt working spindle isnt sync

More
31 Aug 2013 09:41 - 31 Aug 2013 09:44 #38276 by andypugh

so what I have here with my gear change function in the hal wont work with rigid tapping?

It probably will, actually. You definitely need a spindle-relative index for multi-pass threading. You will not be able to peck-tap unless you have an index on the spindle.
But for a single-pass rigid tap (and if you don't care about the screw slots lining up[1]) then index on the motor is probably OK.

If it wasn't clear, when I said "gearchange in the middle" I was suggesting that it was a bad idea to expect to change the spindle gear half-way through the tapping cycle.

[1] My grandfather was a steam-engine fitter back in the 20s. They used to deepen counterbores and face off screws so that all the slotted screw-heads in the base plate were in a perfect line. I suppose it made it obvious if any had worked loose.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2013 09:44 by andypugh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2013 09:55 #38277 by fabworx
well I still have a problem cause its not working. I just changed the code as you suggested and my rpm is actually much more accurate then before so thanx for that. I dunno would entering in to mdi

s50 m3
g33.1 z-0.65 k0.08

work for testing purposes?

and I agree there would be no benefit, that I know of any way, to changing gears in the middle of an operation. not to mention there are no synchros in the gear box so damage would be likely.

More
31 Aug 2013 10:53 #38287 by fabworx
also im not sure if it maters much but if I put in g33.1 z-0.65 k0.08 without starting the spindle I get an error "spindle not moving". how is it guys are getting the "electronic gearing" synchronized motion by hand, just spinning the spindle by hand?

More
31 Aug 2013 21:01 #38307 by andypugh

I get an error "spindle not moving". how is it guys are getting the "electronic gearing" synchronized motion by hand, just spinning the spindle by hand?

I think that the software checks that the spindle is on, rather than if it is actually turning. So if you put the spindle in neutral or turn off the VFD you will get the behaviour that I suspect you have seen on YouTube.
(If you are talking about the lathe threading video then I think he simply has the clutch disengaged(

More
31 Aug 2013 21:03 #38308 by andypugh

well I still have a problem cause its not working.

Do you see index-enable set and reset?

More
31 Aug 2013 21:25 #38312 by fabworx
I will check but I wasn't sure I would see it as I just thought it would happen so fast I wouldn't be able to catch it. Am I wrong? Im not certain if it should stay in reset for a whole revolution or not.

More
31 Aug 2013 21:30 #38314 by BigJohnT
The following user(s) said Thank You: fabworx

More
31 Aug 2013 23:05 #38317 by fabworx
Awesome Big John thank you

More
01 Sep 2013 10:26 #38343 by fabworx
Hi Big John I follow the link and follow the instructions on the little website And tried to unlink the hal commands and keep getting an error I can't seem to unlink anything

More
01 Sep 2013 11:27 #38345 by fabworx
hi andy im not sure how it should look or if I would even be able to line up index and get it to light in the hal config window. if its supposed to stay lit its not working its not even blinking as I rotate it by hand. i don't think its working

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds