Fanuc Servo Motor PID Configuration Setup

More
18 Oct 2013 19:41 #40038 by NICKKINSMAN
Hello;

I have not been able to get the settings right for PID on my servo motors on my lathe. I was finally able to badger Fanuc into tracking down the servo specs. I was originally thinking that the MESA boards may not be capable enough to get full speed, but the specs seem to suggest they should be able to work. With where my current config stands setting by trial and error, I can only get 50% speed, 50IPM, where original spec is 100IPM. If I set it any faster, the Mesa board shuts down, which could be due to my PID settings, I am just not sure.

I have been discussing it with Peter, but we have not come to any conclusions so would appreciate any other input.

Also attached is a picture of my current Z axis config with the PID settings I am currently running that work. I've attempted to increase the max speed, but it will shut down totally on the rapid deceleration and then I have to reboot to get it to start up again.

Couple of items I would appreciate feedback on that I pretty much guessed at:

-How does max acceleration look, what would you recommend for 100IPM?
-Rapid Following Error, what should it be at?
-Feed Following Error, what should it be at?
-PID range/scale to work with (should P be 10, 50 or 100 range?, what range for I, D,?)

Thank you.
Nick

PS - I have upgraded to V2.5, this is my old picture of the config, I transferred the exact same number though and it works the same. The table on the lathe is substantial, probably at least 400 pounds, if that is needed.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2013 23:09 #40043 by andypugh

With where my current config stands setting by trial and error, I can only get 50% speed, 50IPM, where original spec is 100IPM. If I set it any faster, the Mesa board shuts down, which could be due to my PID settings, I am just not sure

Which Mesa board is shutting down?

More
18 Oct 2013 23:20 - 18 Oct 2013 23:32 #40046 by NICKKINSMAN
The 7I29. It seems to be totally off, all the LED's off. I've waited but it does not come back on, although I admit to being anxious and going pretty quickly to restart. I didn't time how long I waited, and also I am not trying to replicate it, as I am very concerned about damaging the electronics.

I've talked this over with Peter, and he was saying it is odd behaviour as well, it should only shut down on overheat or overvoltage, I am wondering what happens on decleration, does the motor generate current or something....
Last edit: 18 Oct 2013 23:32 by NICKKINSMAN.

More
18 Oct 2013 23:50 #40047 by andypugh

The 7I29. It seems to be totally off, all the LED's off.

I would normally be suspecting lack of braking resistors, but the 7i29 has nowhere to connect them. (that I can see).

The first thing I would try would be lower acceleration numbers, in case it is a motor-braking problem. But I suspect that PCW has already suggested that?

More
18 Oct 2013 23:50 - 18 Oct 2013 23:58 #40048 by PCW
If you have no LEDs I would say there's an issue with 5V power
I would try powering the 7I29 with external 5V (not from the flat cable)

edit (and this should come from PC 5V, if you have a 5I20 theres a terminal block for this)
Last edit: 18 Oct 2013 23:58 by PCW.

More
19 Oct 2013 00:02 - 19 Oct 2013 00:02 #40050 by NICKKINSMAN
OK, I will try running 5V wire to the 7I29, I have the PC power close by so I can come right off of it.

Still interested in any feedback on adjustments to the config settings.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2013 00:02 by NICKKINSMAN.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds