Router losing steps, operator (me) going mad

More
20 Nov 2013 20:14 #41007 by SvenH
All of a sudden my gantry router starts loosing steps on the x-axis and as a consequence I am losing my marbles.

I had been milling the same part for about two hours, and at the end of that time the router lost steps while accelerating to its last position, away from the piece. This happened twice in a row and once yesterday.
The drivers are not at all hot, the x drive seems just a hint warmer but by no means extreme.

I opened up the ini file and lowered MAX_ACCELERATION from 1600.0 to 1500.0 (metric set-up)
I left STEPGEN_MAXACCEL at 2400.0 which is what I have because of backlash compensation, only on the x-axis.

After starting the machine again it stalled as soon as it had finished the first part of the program instead of after finishing, ruining the piece.

So before I start a wild trial and mostly error streak, is there any knowledge I should use instead of just trying stuff?

Oh, it seems that it looses steps when speeding up for a longer trip, up to 100 mm where most in the program is smaller moves. Maybe this is a top speed issue as well as acceleration?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2013 20:21 #41009 by BigJohnT
If your loosing steps and the machine worked reliably before I'd look into mechanical problems like loose connections, axis sticking, bad bearings etc.

JT

More
20 Nov 2013 20:37 #41010 by ArcEye

I opened up the ini file and lowered MAX_ACCELERATION from 1600.0 to 1500.0 (metric set-up)
I left STEPGEN_MAXACCEL at 2400.0 which is what I have because of backlash compensation, only on the x-axis.

Those figures are HUGE for a stepper powered machine.

Have you done the calculations to see if they are even in theory achievable?

I would suspect it is no co-incidence that the missed steps occur on longer moves, the shorter ones will not have time to exceed the rate at which pulses can be generated.
Does the problem co-incide with a workpiece which requires longer rapid travels?

Personally I would divide them all by 10 and see if the problem still exists, once you have eliminated any mechanical problem

regards

More
20 Nov 2013 20:49 #41011 by SvenH
Thanks guys.

I realised that there is a big change from from previous sessions, this is the first part that I'm milling with G61 (exact path) instead of G64.
But is exact path used for G0 moves?

I have now reduced Max velocity to 65 from 70 and the first piece went well.

I've been running this machine for like 2 years with this configuration, it has 16x16 mm ball screws and 6.5 Nm motors. Max speed was 4200 mm/min, now is 3900 mm/min. But I have had it up to 7000 mm/min but then lost steps too often.

I have not done any calculations, have not been in that deep yet to learn. All trial and error...

More
20 Nov 2013 22:10 #41013 by BigJohnT
I think exact path is used for any move when you have it programmed. Unless you have a machine with high acceleration I would not use G64 but rather I would use G64 Pnn and specify the tolerance that the planner can deviate from the programmed path to keep speed up. I would also do the stepper test from the manual and make sure the test length is long enough to reach top speed. When you add cutting forces you have to reduce speed on steppers due to the fact that the faster a stepper turns the less torque it has. So for any machine that has cutting forces I would include testing at cutting speeds with some scrap material to make sure the cutting forces are not greater than the torque your steppers can achieve.

If you open up the Stepconf Wizard and enter the values for your axis it will tell you the distance to reach max speed which is a big help. For example if your acceleration is so low that you can never reach max speed in the distance your axis can move it might make sense to lower your max speed for that axis.

JT

More
20 Nov 2013 22:30 - 20 Nov 2013 22:33 #41016 by SvenH
I'll make a new configuration using stepconf and see what numbers that brings me.

About exact path, would it be ok to switch back and forth between g64 and G61 within the program?

Edit:
I do not notice the difference in milling time so choosing G61 does not bother me that much. Except off course if it is the cause of losing steps...
Last edit: 20 Nov 2013 22:33 by SvenH.

More
21 Nov 2013 07:32 #41071 by BigJohnT
G61 in and of itself will not cause steps to be lost.

You don't have to make a new configuration just enter your numbers and see the info.

You can freely switch between G61, G64, and G64Pn as you desire. These are trajectory control and should be understood what each does. I feel it is wrong to default to G64, but that is my humble opinion only.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/common/User_C...trajectory_control_a

JT

More
21 Nov 2013 21:24 - 21 Nov 2013 22:11 #41082 by SvenH
Hi Guys,

Been doing a bit of testing in stepconf.

There seems to be something mechanical going on but I can not figure out how.

The stalling happens in a specific area of the x axis, also the same area where I had trouble yesterday.

If I let the x axis run back and forth in another area it does 155 mm/second and 2200 mm/s2 over 100 mm area nicely.
But when I go to an area between 1/5th and 1/3rd away from the front end of the x-axis the motor wants to stall, especially when moving away from the front end.

The machine is based on a 100 mm4 inch thick torsion box that was glued on a slab of granite. On top of that 60 mm steel box section, on top of that 25 mm supported shaft.

I thought that it was not bolted to the steel street so I loosened the bolt holding it down. No difference.
Checked for loose connections, none found.

Any thoughts or experience?

Edit:
Got a result. In the wrong direction but still, a result.
After loosening the connection between the steel supports and the torsion box bed, the whole lot stalls at lower numbers along all of the x- axis...

First guess is that tightening the mdf torsion box allow deformation and thus tensioning in more ways than I want.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2013 22:11 by SvenH.

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds