installing a handwheel (Manual Pulse Generator)

More
05 Jan 2014 11:55 #42366 by southbayguy
I'd like to install a handwheel (manual pulse generator MPG) for making small controlled axis moves, for edge finding XOYO on a part for instance.
Reading around on the forum, I see a post about using a pair of products from CNC4PC. What confuses me in the post is this sentence:

"This example uses an MPG3 pendant and a C22 pendant interface card from CNC4PC connected to a second parallel port plugged into the PCI slot."

Question is: What about the first parallel port? Is it required also?

Another question: I'm using a Motenc Lite interface card, wihch has four encoder input channels. Mine will be a 3-axis machine and I don't plan to use a spindle encodeer, so that fourth encoder channel is available. Could I just hook up an encoder with a handle to that fourth encoder channel and use the GUI to direct pulses to a particular axis? i.e. is necessary to go the parallel port route at all?

Any guidance appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2014 14:06 #42367 by cmorley
The reason for the second parallel port is usually the first is used up with controlling the machine.
In your case you are using a special card to run the machine so the parallel port is available.

or you can use the spare encode counter on the Motec.

You need to change the HAL file to connect the encoder counter to motion module (motmod)
You can use either encoder counter (A software counter connected to the parallel port or the motec)

Motech sample HAL files are hard to come by but maybe you could take a sample from the parallel port and convert it.

here is info on the motec

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/drivers/motenc.html

Here is the pins of motmod:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/config/emc2hal.html#_axis_joints
look at
axis.N.jog-counts
axis.N.jog-enable
axis.N.jog-scale

Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: southbayguy

More
06 Jan 2014 07:56 #42380 by andypugh

Another question: I'm using a Motenc Lite interface card, wihch has four encoder input channels. Mine will be a 3-axis machine and I don't plan to use a spindle encodeer, so that fourth encoder channel is available. Could I just hook up an encoder with a handle to that fourth encoder channel and use the GUI to direct pulses to a particular axis? i.e. is necessary to go the parallel port route at all?

Are you sure you don't want a spindle encoder? Spindle encoders are nice to have, and allow rigid tapping, for example.

It almost seems a shame to waste a proper high-speed encoder counter on an MPG. It might well be sensible to use the parallel port.
I have the MPG on my mill connected to GPIO on the interface card, and then to a software encoder counter. Unusually that counter is running in the 1kHz servo-thread, and still works perfectly well for the MPG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southbayguy

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds