not understanding where to attach physical wires

More
14 Mar 2014 01:17 #44770 by johns00056
It does run continuously. The following error is set to 100 inches.

If I set it to a more reasonable value I get a error and it stops.

This is understandable because I have not commanded a move .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2014 01:26 #44771 by PCW
does the motor run continuously when enabled?

More
14 Mar 2014 01:35 #44772 by johns00056
The motor runs continuously when enabled and only stops if I click e-stop or machine off or try to jog another

axis which gives a following error.

More
14 Mar 2014 01:45 #44775 by andypugh
If the motor is running continuously it is probably a sign that the PID is back-to-front.
If you negate the axis scale in the INI then you should see the motor move to the commanded position and stop.
(assuming that things are working as I think they are)

More
14 Mar 2014 01:59 #44777 by johns00056
I increased the voltage and it did run faster.

Unfortunately, that proved to be too much for my transformer, which smoked and blew the fuses.

So it looks like testing is over for today.

Thanks for all the help.

More
14 Mar 2014 03:56 #44782 by andypugh

So it looks like testing is over for today.

There are still some things that you can do, if the 8i20 is still live and talking (flashing green light).

You probably need to get comfortable with the command line interface to HAL.

I tend to create minimal configs and use _only_ the command line for testing, but assuming that you are currently starting LinuxCNC in the normal way.
After LinuxCNC is live open a terminal window and type
halcmd -kf
Now you can type HAL commands (like you see in the HAL file) directly, and they will take effect immediately.
One thing I would suggest is
show param *8i20*
to see what the max current of your 8i20 is set to. How does that compare to the motor rating?
exit
when finished.

You can use "setsserial" to adjust the internal settings on the 8i20 if you are running a development version of LinuxCNC. If you are using a released version then I think you can do it with Mesaflash. (from Mesa)

More
14 Mar 2014 05:14 - 14 Mar 2014 05:16 #44783 by johns00056
I'm back!

The transformer seems OK now. The rectifier failed. I think that the problem is that some of my capacitors are very old and

short at higher voltage.

So I cleared the stench of burned electronics from the shop and have everything working again .(with smaller fuses for the

transformer)

I changed the sign in front of INPUT_SCALE= and now it works really well. When I start up LINUX CNC and e-stop

off,start,enable- the motor turns about .050 inch (on the display) and then stops.

The incremental jog works well. Continuous jog works but the motor does not move as fast as the pointer in the graphics

display, but it does catch up eventually. I am running only 50 volts on a motor rated 147 v. I can stop the motor with my fingers.

If I turn the motor while in e-stop, It will usually go back to where it belongs when I un e-stop and start.

If I try to home, it goes looking for the home switch, but I don't know where to connect the switch.

The display movement per motor revolution seems about right.

File Attachment:

File Name: UnsavedDocument1.txt
File Size:0 KB

I did show param *8i20* It looks like 7.5a which seems very low.

If I use the MAX_ACCELERATION and MAX_VELOCITY settings, would that serve the same purpose as the internal settings on 8i20?
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Mar 2014 05:16 by johns00056.

More
14 Mar 2014 05:24 #44784 by andypugh

I did show param *8i20* It looks like 7.5a which seems very low.

What is the rated current of the motors?
7.5A gives quite a lot of torque with my servos, in fact that is the max they can take (at 300V). I suspect that you are running out of power from your PSU.

I think the 8i20 comes set to 7.5A, but this is an internal setting that can be changed.

What type of motors are these? The "magnetic homing" method is not the best for motors that start up under load. If you have Hall sensors or an encoder index it would be better to use them.

More
14 Mar 2014 06:49 - 14 Mar 2014 06:50 #44786 by johns00056
The motors are 147v 15a, but I can probably get by with less than full performance.

The vertical axis has an adjustable pressure counterbalance cylinder, but the motor will probably have to start with a fairly heavy load.

The encoder has an index channel. I see the setting that allows that to be used, so I will try it tomorrow.
The encoder also has a commutation track for an eight pole motor, but I don't know how to use it.

Thanks for the help.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2014 06:50 by johns00056.

More
14 Mar 2014 07:18 #44788 by andypugh

The encoder also has a commutation track for an eight pole motor, but I don't know how to use it..

Using that would be the best way. How many wires is it? Using the commutation info will give you full torque instantly with no need for an "init" stage.

Do you have any links to the motor specs, or even a manufacturer and part number?

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds