Program exceeds machine maximum on axis Z.

More
02 Apr 2014 23:59 - 03 Apr 2014 00:04 #45505 by 71GA
I finaly got my gcode for my PCB which i designed in EAGLE, then exported gerbers and used pcb2gcode to create .ngc files which open up fine in LinuxCNC (I used 5-axis sample configuration file).

I then power ON the machine, home it and try to start the simulation but I get an error: "Program exceeds machine maximum on axis Z.".

File Attachment:

If I press the play button I get the error: "Linear move on line 12 would exceed joint 2's positive limit."

File Attachment:

From the top picture I can clearly see that machine wants to go beyond the red box (working space if I am not wrong). How can I fix this? Do I have to set home somewhere else in a configuration file?
How do I do this?

I attached my .ngc file and a file millproject which I used to convert gerbers into .ngc files. Just in case you would like to take a look.
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Apr 2014 00:04 by 71GA.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2014 02:45 #45512 by 71GA
I just switched to world mode and decreased z axis a bit... then I pressed "Touch off" and at first It didn't work, but after restarting it did. Weird.

• CG0
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Apr 2014 05:11 #45518 by CG0
The picture shows your part on the outside of the limits.

The red box would be the machine limits , set from g54
Try changing g54 to g55 in your code, then goto your machine, jog inside the red box to a spot where you would put a fixture or machine vise and zero it / touch off as g55.
Now run your new code with g55 as the start and it will work.

More
03 Apr 2014 05:25 #45520 by andypugh

I then power ON the machine, home it and try to start the simulation but I get an error: "Program exceeds machine maximum on axis Z.".

The G-code is written with Z=0 as the surface of the work.
After homing your machine thinks that Z=0 is the top of travel.
You need to use the "touch-off" button in the Axis GUI.

One way to do this is to use a dowel of known diameter. Lower the cutter until it is less than the dowel diameter above the surface, then jog up slowly until the dowel rolls under (this is safer than jogging _down_ to a fixture).

Then select the Z axis and press the touch-off button and type in the new Z height (the diameter of the dowel).

You will probably want to do the same thing with X and Y to get the PCB where you want it too.

There are 9 coordinate systems that you can store these offsets in. By default you will be in G54, which is actually the only one I ever use.

More
03 Apr 2014 18:31 #45534 by BigJohnT
You might benefit from reading my tutorials

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/g-code/index.html

JT

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds