Limit switch snap action?

More
02 Jun 2014 10:41 - 02 Jun 2014 11:44 #47615 by AMelvin
How does the difference in snap action (snap on, snap off) on the limit/home switches in relation to the ball screw location affect performance if any? I'm using a meter to set the switches on the machine and noticed they open and close at different locations on the ball screw due to the snap action. Will this cause a problem as far machine and controller responses?
Last edit: 02 Jun 2014 11:44 by AMelvin. Reason: Clarity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2014 19:07 #47626 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Limit switch snap action?

Will this cause a problem as far machine and controller responses?

No. Such behaviour is normal (and actually desirable).
The homing sequence will typically move rapidly to the "break" position and then reverse and slowly move to the "make" position (or vice-versa) so the reference is consistently in the same direction.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AMelvin

More
03 Jun 2014 05:47 - 03 Jun 2014 05:48 #47642 by tenaja
Replied by tenaja on topic Limit switch snap action?

How does the difference in snap action (snap on, snap off) on the limit/home switches in relation to the ball screw location affect performance if any? I'm using a meter to set the switches on the machine and noticed they open and close at different locations on the ball screw due to the snap action. Will this cause a problem as far machine and controller responses?

Was each "open" at the same location, and each "close" at the same location? If so, then you will probably not have an issue.

If not, were you moving the screw by hand, or using the homing sequence? If the latter, then you have problems. However, those problems are only as big as your requirement for repeatability when powering-up and homing.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2014 05:48 by tenaja.

More
03 Jun 2014 07:12 #47644 by AMelvin
Replied by AMelvin on topic Limit switch snap action?
Was performing first setup for building purposes and was by hand as controller is not installed on machine.
As this is the first time with limit switches, I was not aware that rapid break, slow make function was there.
Thanks for the assistance to all.

More
28 Jul 2014 21:30 #49219 by TroyO
Replied by TroyO on topic Limit switch snap action?
I am in the process of setting up my switches and noticed something that may be relevant.... the distance between "Break" and "Make" on mine is about 1/8" of table travel... so while it will work it means I am losing around 1/2" of otherwise usable travel. (Safety margin plus make/break travel). I could maybe trim that to 3/8ths but still a switch that has less dead zone and makes/breaks closer to the same spot would lower that loss.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds