Setup foam cut machine based on the axis sample

More
05 Mar 2015 05:01 #56479 by ferox
Hello engineers,

in the sample config sim/axis/axis_foam config I could not find a way to feed in my individual machine data like in the stepconf-programm. How does it work ?

regards

Till

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2015 01:41 #56795 by bernie_nor
I'm looking at the same thing. I've got a milling machine more or less up and running. And have learned from that.

When I set up my foam cutter in a few weeks time I'll do it this way:

I would start with only the X and Y Axis. And use stepconf to get them right.As if I was setting up a three axis mill, ignoring the Z-axis. When this is running I'm planning to manualy edit the .ini and .hal files to get the U and V running. In the ini file I would copy the [AXIS_0] and [AXIS_1] sections and rename them [AXIS_6] and [AXIS_7]. This is the definitions for the U and V axis.

Looking at the Foam cutter example that came with LinuxCNC I see that I also need to add or alter these lines in the ini file:

in the [DISPLAY] section:
GEOMETRY = XY;UV
FOAM = 1

in the [TRAJ] section:
AXIS = 8
COORDINATES = X Y U V
HOME = 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Next up is the .hal file. This is where functions (like step or dir for the X-axis) is connected to a physical pin (like pin 2 on the par-port).

I would probably just copy the X and Y settings again and change to U and V.

Can someone tell me if we need to use stepgen.2 or stepgen.7 for the U axis? I tested a sample config usin stepgen.2 and stepgen.3 and got it loaded without any errors. But I'm not confident about it.

The FOAM = 1 setting tells the axis display to try to display your machine as a foam cutter. Not sure if it can be configured. I need to look into that when I get mine up and running.

I hope this helps you get started.

Cheers!
Bernie

More
14 Mar 2015 08:35 #56798 by cmorley
stepgen 2 and 3 is the way to go.

Chris M

More
31 Mar 2015 13:15 #57342 by ferox
Hello Bernie and Chris,

many thanks for your input - I had a little break with linux CNC and concentrated tho the "iron hardware" to retire a bit...

I realized that there are dozens of ways to set up the same machine with linuxCnc. So I will start to try out one way and then post more concrete problems.

Regards

Till

More
25 Apr 2015 12:59 - 21 Aug 2015 09:47 #58104 by Askjerry
If you get it working I would really appreciate a ZIP copy of your configuration files.
I'm getting close... but running into errors. If I had a working set of files... then I could change the port pins and concentrate on building a pyvcp panel.

Thanks,
Jerry

UPDATE August 20, 2015:

I got a configuration working... but I am trying to rotate the machine 90 degrees... I have another topic open in ADVANCED so I'll post when I get a result.
I am attaching what I currently have here... hope it helps. (Functional but not horizontally aligned.)

File Attachment:

File Name: wolf.tar_2...08-20.gz
File Size:3 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Aug 2015 09:47 by Askjerry.

More
22 Dec 2015 12:27 #67235 by ferox
Replied by ferox on topic Foam cutter basically works
Hello guys,

progress is slow in my case because of family (and an old "mechanical style" CPU incorporated), but now I have a foam-cutting hardware running with XY-UV-Axis according to the example. I generated G-code of an aeroplane-wing by profili and "played it in the air" without cutting. It seems to work and it is a wonderful feeling to see the performance of the whole thing. Though I know al lot more than some months ago there are still a lot of things I didnĀ“t understand yet. But I can ask much more detailed now. Thanks a lot to the community.
@Jerry: If you still would need an example file, please let me know your email via private massage
@Bernie: Thanks for your advice, that was the key...

regards

Till

More
22 Dec 2015 14:03 - 22 Dec 2015 14:04 #67238 by Askjerry
@Ferox - Is yours aligned with the XY on one side, and the UV on the other? I got a configuration to work (attached above in prior post) but it has the XY on the bottom and the UV over it... needs to be rotated 90 degrees. I haven't figured that out.

Thanks,
Jerry
Last edit: 22 Dec 2015 14:04 by Askjerry.

More
04 Jul 2016 21:46 #76993 by jeffgar2000@gmail.com
Hey Jerry,

Did you ever figure out how to rotate your display so XY is on one side and UV on the other istead of one set on the bottom and one set on the top?

Thanks
Jeff

More
05 Jul 2016 12:07 #77025 by Askjerry
Nope.
Never did. :dry:

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds