Newbie configuration problem.... HELP!

More
12 Oct 2015 03:04 #63697 by jessedavis
This is a very basic question. LinuxCNC, latest live distro. Installed without problems on 64 bit machine. Everything seems there and runs. The problem is that there is no parallel port output. Using STEPCONFIG Wizard to configure everything. Port address is 0h378 from the linux OS query. Put that in the Stepconfig box for base address (I have also tried 0 and 378). Save the config file as my_mill. The my_mill.hal file looks OK to me. Now, I run LinuxCNC with the my_mill config files and use the jog buttons to check the port. No output (using oscilloscope) on the specified pin; however, the HALScope shows output on that pin. So, everything on the computer side seems to work except the hardware parallel port. I checked the parallel port with a small Python program. It works properly.
I am just lost! Anybody have any ideas??

Thanks in advance,
jd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2015 14:17 #63715 by cncbasher
try blacklisting lp
sudo rmmod lp

does the parallelport show the correct address cat /proc/ioports

also check dmesg for any load errors
The following user(s) said Thank You: jessedavis

More
12 Oct 2015 22:14 #63719 by jessedavis
0378-037a : parport0 from /proc/ioports

I removed lp I have also removed other parallel port modules at various stages of this process - all without result.

Since this is a dedicated copy of Wheezey especially for LunuxCNC I would have thought that all the setup would have been right.

I will read thru dmesg for relevant load problems. I don't have time until this evening. In my experience with Linux there are always failures to load and other problems in dmesg. It's hard to know what is important.

Sorry to whine, I'm just tired.

Thanks for your prompt response and help.

Regards,
jd

More
15 Oct 2015 21:06 #63781 by jessedavis
Sorry to disappear - pressures of life. PROGRESS has been made. Thanks to your help I now have pulses where they should be. My fault entirely. Prop foot up on desk and take careful aim. A line by line comparison of the stepconfig generated file and one of the sample files revealed that a sim module had been included. I replaced it with the correct one and voila! Now I'm working on why I keep getting a latency error when the latency test shows less that 10 microseconds.

Again,
Thanks,
jd

Time to create page: 0.814 seconds