Will LinuxCNC run with a USB interface?

More
26 Nov 2015 07:03 - 26 Nov 2015 07:04 #65810 by stargeezer
Hi Folks,

I'm very new to LinuxCNC and very possibly am trying to do something that's not possible, but can a controller with only USB connector be used with LinuxCNC?

This is the board I have;

www.ebay.com/itm/252086916342?_trksid=p2...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have several different controller boards in my collection, so if this was a bad choice I have options. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2015 07:04 by stargeezer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2015 07:58 #65812 by Rick G
Short answer No.
Usb can be used for other devices with linuxcnc such as pendants, but to control in realtime with usb is a problem.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HardwareDesign

Rick G

More
26 Nov 2015 12:46 #65820 by andypugh

www.ebay.com/itm/252086916342?_trksid=p2...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That _appears_ to be a complete G-code interpreter on a chip. ie, it already does the same thing as LinuxCNC does.
It isn't entirely clear from the description, but that seems to be what it is.

If that is the case, it is an alternative to LinuxCNC, not a device to be used with LinuxCNC.

More
26 Nov 2015 17:34 #65833 by stargeezer
OK guys. Thanks for the help. I'd love to get away from the parallel interface.

More
26 Nov 2015 17:48 #65835 by andypugh

I'd love to get away from the parallel interface.

The parallel interface (as EPP data transfer) can work very well with the Pico and Mesa cards. Don't dismiss it out of hand.
LinuxCNC also supports PCI, PCIe and Ethernet connected hardware.

Just not USB.

More
14 Dec 2015 05:33 #66944 by sm
I also would like to ask the same question (despite of the answers in this thread)
I understood that linuxcnc does not work with usb directly. but, do you think it would be possible to use usb-parallel cable to connect card with parallel interface to comp via usb?
my problem is that comp's motherboard , which is running ubuntu with linuxcnc doesn't have pci ports, so, I cannot install parallel port on it.
please advice.
thank you.

More
14 Dec 2015 10:50 #66947 by andypugh

do you think it would be possible to use usb-parallel cable to connect card with parallel interface to comp via usb?

No, as the USB to parallel converters are intended for printer use, and don't give pin-level access to the parallel port.
These converters also introduce their own lafency to the already indeterminate USB latency.

my problem is that comp's motherboard , which is running ubuntu with linuxcnc doesn't have pci ports, so, I cannot install parallel port on it.

What is the motoerboard? Have you checked if there is a parallel port header on the motherboard? This is still quite common.

There are Ethernet-connected motion control interfaces for LinuxCNC, all better than a parallel port.

More
10 Jan 2018 22:07 - 10 Jan 2018 22:08 #104257 by jbar
Old thread, but here in January 2018, I need to upgrade to a new PC without a Parallel port. Andy are there any specific Ethernet connected interfaces you could point us to? I've googled it to death and must be using the wrong keywords.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2018 22:08 by jbar.

More
10 Jan 2018 23:57 #104264 by andypugh
The following user(s) said Thank You: jbar

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds