Figured out the PCI to Parallel port card address

More
31 Dec 2015 17:02 #67604 by Jake
I thought I would share it so if someone else runs into it.

I did not know how to get the address set for the Pico PPMC to see where the card is.

In the command line lspci -v

This will show you where the cards address is as long as the computer is seeing it
there will be a line that says

I/O ports at ea00 the (ea00) is the address that will be different based on your machine

In the config file ppmc_load.hal

find line loadrt hal_ppmc

Add port_addr=0x(your address) to that line.

Done deal!

Thanks ArcEye and Jon for the help!

Jake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2015 17:05 #67605 by ArcEye
Possibly a bit late for you, but may help someone else.

There is a FAQ on that subject
forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/18-computer/189...-parallel-port-cards

regards

More
31 Dec 2015 18:28 #67612 by jepler
In modern versions of linuxcnc where the Linux parallel port driver has not been disabled, you can simply use numbers from 0 to 15 to indicate the parallel ports in the order they are detected by Linux, as documented here: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/hal/parallel-port.html#_loading

While that documentation above is about the dumb parport driver, it should apply to Pico and Mesa parallel cards as well, because they use the same C API, hal_parport_get. If they don't, it's a bug that ought to be reported and addressed. (I certainly haven't tested this with any pico cards, because I don't own any, but I'm 95% certain I tested it with one of 7i43 or 7i90 after writing it)

It would also be ideal if somebody prepared a patch for ppmc, 7i43 and 7i90 docs in the linuxcnc source tree to make it clear that this style works there too, or at least updated the FAQ. I think a lot of people spend time trying to read lspci output like tea leaves, and it really shouldn't be necessary any longer for most users in new installs.

More
01 Jan 2016 01:07 #67634 by andypugh

While that documentation above is about the dumb parport driver, it should apply to Pico and Mesa parallel cards as well, because they use the same C API, hal_parport_get.

My Lathe uses a 7i43. It actually has nothing at all to tell it the Parport address:
loadrt hostmot2
loadrt hm2_7i43 config="firmware=hm2/7i43-4/SVST4_4.BIT num_encoders=2 num_pwmgens=1 num_stepgens=4 enable_raw"

It just works.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds