Scale of output too small.

More
17 Jan 2016 09:18 #68578 by DaleH
Hi all. I'm an absolute beginner with LinuxCNC and CNC in general. I've recently completed my CNC router table and am leased with how it all went together and that it all does work.

For my first test I mounted a Sharpie onto the machine and ran a file that I had prepared some time ago and in fact had laser cut so I know it's fine. Once opened in LinuxCNC it looks fine in the preview and the dimensions are showing correctly, however my output is way too small. It should be 10 inches wide but is only about 2.5 inches wide, around 1/4 size.

I've gone over my configuration and I have the correct number of steps for my motors and my threads per inch for the leadscrews are right too. It must be something simple but I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2016 11:03 #68580 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Scale of output too small.

For my first test I mounted a Sharpie onto the machine and ran a file that I had prepared some time ago and in fact had laser cut so I know it's fine. Once opened in LinuxCNC it looks fine in the preview and the dimensions are showing correctly, however my output is way too small. It should be 10 inches wide but is only about 2.5 inches wide, around 1/4 size.

Would it be exactly 2.54 inches wide? That might indicate a metric/imperial scaling problem.

However, more likely is that the drivers are running at 1/4 microstepping and you didn't set it up that way.

You can go back to stepconf and change it, or just edit the [AXIS_N]SCALE parameters to make them 4x bigger. (but if you then run stepconf again it will try to over-write the changes)

More
17 Jan 2016 20:56 #68616 by DaleH
Replied by DaleH on topic Scale of output too small.
Thanks Andy. Yeah, that was it. My Chinese drivers didn't have any info in the docs about microstepping. I did a little trial and error and eventually got it sorted. I can't test cut anything yet as my bits haven't arrived yet, but it's looking good.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds