Multiple hand wheel encoders

More
11 Feb 2016 04:01 #69974 by naz
Hello,

I'm still learning my way around hal and was curious if someone could post some pointers or some sample code for using multiple encoders. One for X and Z and multiple scaling for each input via 2 selectors switches. Trying to have machine with a manual machining mode via the hand encoders.

Thank you,

-Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2016 12:41 #69989 by andypugh
The HAL pins you need are part of "motion"
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/motion.9.html

For a shared encoder you would use one mpg connected to both axes and a select.
net mpg-counts encoder.0.counts # as an example. Or hm2_7i84.0004.mpg1.counts, as another
net x-jog-sel parport.0.pin-01-in
net z-jog-sel parport.0.pin-01-in-not # only one pin, but using the complementaty outputs
net mpg-counts axis.0.jog-counts axis.2.jog-counts # connect the mpg to both axes
net x-jog-sel  axis.0.jog-enable
net z-jog-sel axis.2.jog-enable

It is actually simpler with one wheel per axis.
net mpg-x encoder.0.counts
net mpg-z encoder.1.counts
net mpg-x axis.0.jog-counts
net mpg-z axis.2.jog-counts
setp axis.0.jog-enable 1
setp axis.2.jog-enable 1 # no need for a select pin

The scaling can be done a number of ways. It is often easier to get it out of the GUI. For example with the Touchy GUI is it
net jog-increment touchy.jog.wheel.increment  axis.0.jog-scale axis.2.jog-scale

The corresponding pin in the Axis ui is axisui.jog.increment.

If you prefer to select jog-speed with a physical switch then the mux components can be handy
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/mux4.9.html

More
12 Feb 2016 01:07 #70023 by naz
Replied by naz on topic Multiple hand wheel encoders
Great thanks that all helped and got first selection of things working like I wanted including using the mux4.0 and physical switch to change the feed rate. Next question that is probably simple again but I was just looking around to see if anyone has done it. Would it be possible to change those same encoders into spindle and feed overrides using a external switch to let linuxcnc know that it should change there function? Also just for other folks information added my jog.hal file.

-naz
Attachments:

More
12 Feb 2016 01:21 #70024 by andypugh

Great thanks that all helped and got first selection of things working like I wanted including using the mux4.0 and physical switch to change the feed rate. Next question that is probably simple again but I was just looking around to see if anyone has done it. Would it be possible to change those same encoders into spindle and feed overrides using a external switch to let linuxcnc know that it should change there function?

On a lathe it might make sense for the MPGs to be axis jogging in manual mode and feed overrides in Auto (G-code running) mode.

To do what you want, you need to connect each mpg to both "things" that it needs to do, like the one-mpg many-axis example.
But then you need to actively control the enable bit, rather than use the setp command as a one-off.

You need the spindle-override-counts and feed-override-counts from halui to make this work:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man1/halui.1.html

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds