2.8, Mesa 7i96, uspace and documentation

More
02 Aug 2018 19:38 #115431 by ikkuh

LinuxCNC 2.8 has full driver support for the 7I96

Getting more and more frustrated with the lack of documentation and outdated information.
Made a big investment (for me at least) in a Mesa card, servo drives and a big spindle. I already have a functioning cnc machine with a Chinese parallel bob. It works good and I had fun getting it to work with LinuxCNC.

So now I build a new machine, with ballscrews and flat linear rails. I have again a gantry and want to use the gantry options in 2.8 as I used in the previous machine.
So 2.8 is a must for the new machine, but I also want the Mesa card working in the new machine. So I need a preempt kernel. I tried to find information about the 2.8 version from the repo (master rt) and how to get it working. It does not work, there is no uspace LinuxCNC in the master rt repo.
That information is nowhere to be found, I found out the hard way by trial and error and reinstalling numerous times.

Would be nice if options that are possible with LinuxCNC would be documented. Would attract many more users, especialy now MACH3/4 users are fed up with their supplier.

ps: I am really thankful for people like PCW (and many others) who answer questions and come up with solutions!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2018 19:59 #115432 by ikkuh
replying to myself.......

Found some hidden info, scattered around.

uspace:
use the wheezy iso at www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/
http://www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/linuxcnc-stretch-uspace-i386-r10.iso

for uspace follow the instructions at buildbot.linuxcnc.org/
(and yes duh, it should not be master-rt for uspace but master-sim, never made the connection between simulation and uspace)
Wheezy (uspace: realtime with RT-Preempt, and simulation)
architectures: amd64, armhf, i386, 	

deb     http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ wheezy master-sim
deb-src http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ wheezy master-sim

then install linuxcnc-uspace for the Mesa capable version 0f 2.8 LinuxCNC
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-uspace

Very frustrated but happy it is working now (and yes there is support for the 7i96 in the master-uspace 2.8 version.

More
02 Aug 2018 22:50 #115465 by cmorley
I am sorry you had a frustrating time. I am glad you got it working.
Yes linuxcnc has a steep learning curve.
Believe it or not linuxcnc is actually really well documented compared to many other open source projects.
99% of work done in linuxcnc is volunteer work.
maybe later on, you could donate a page of documentation or answer some forum questions, to help other new comers.

Welcome to the community.
Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
08 Aug 2018 11:43 #115802 by BigJohnT
I also have some detailed instructions to install Debian 9 Uspace on my web site.
mesaus.com/info/debian-9-uspace.txt

I also have a configuration tool for the 7i96.
github.com/jethornton/7i96

JT

More
26 Jun 2019 02:08 #137850 by pmconsulting
Same here. It would be nice if the forums weren’t crammed with outdated or outright incorrect instructions. I have fought through 4 consecutive procedures for this that all claim to be correct and I still do not have anything working.

More
26 Jun 2019 02:09 #137851 by pmconsulting
Hi JT,
I’ve followed these instructions carefully, multiple times on an HP 6300 (i7). Links are broken and I am unable to get through the process

More
15 Jan 2020 02:37 #154884 by BlueManRising
Still having issues with 2.8, cant find a repo that will let me download, all the keys are saying "gpg: keyserver receive failed: No name"

Anyone got a easy way to install 2.8 so i can get this 7i96 card working?

thought i had it working on a rebuild kernel and 2.9 linuxcnc, but that was a epic fail, so i'm hoping to try 2.8...

More
15 Jan 2020 04:48 #154889 by BlueManRising
Nevermind, got it working with Debian stretch 9 and the main repo for it. Wish there were better tutorials out there, probably going to make one here soon once everything is up and running. Now onto THcad setup, if it's anything like before, this will be fun..

More
15 Jan 2020 16:46 #154934 by tommylight

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds