Stepper stall

More
09 Apr 2020 21:03 #163391 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Stepper stall
I have never used software stepping but I thought the steplen and stepspace need to be a lot higher than you have used.
also the cheap chinese BOB is generally particularly slow. Try changing them to 20,000 for now.

48 volt is not a concern based on my experience with Longs Motors DM542A drivers so I doubt that is a problem. I have run 48 volt on my 50 volt rated stepper drivers for years. Linuxcnc must do some tricks to keep the steppers cool. Mine run cold all the time even at 21 m/min. When I used a Arduino you could barely touch the same motors!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2020 14:14 #163484 by pedersen
Replied by pedersen on topic Stepper stall
Thank you all.
I do not think it is the PSU, and there was no way to adjust anything. I think it maybe something smart and electronic.

I also suspect the Chinese BOB to be slow. The initial change i did for timings did help a lot.

Today the machine has run, so far, with no hiccups for 4+ hours continuously i did go for a conservative speed limit(1200 mm/min), but not really low.

It could perhaps be mechanical a trapezoidal screw has a high resistance, and when ran hard it gets hot and expands and then the resistance gets higher while the motors starts to strain..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds