Silly Question on A and B Axis and Steppers

More
28 Apr 2020 09:34 #165937 by Cutter07
Sorry newbie alert.

Is it possible to home a stepper in the A and B axis if you don't have a switch, or index similar to what you would in an X Y and Z axis?

I have the homing for the X Axis down fine, I just could not work out how to home the A and B Axis given I don't have a limit switch for them, or more to the point I can't.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2020 10:14 #165942 by tommylight
It would help if you upload the hal and ini files.
At any rate, the same homing settings for A should be used for B, from your description.

More
28 Apr 2020 10:32 #165945 by Cutter07
HAL and ini attached.

I am not using the Y and Z axis on this project. Only X, A and B.

File Attachment:

File Name: TEST3.hal
File Size:4 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: TEST3.ini
File Size:3 KB
Attachments:

More
28 Apr 2020 10:36 #165947 by tommylight
That all looks fine, and you have it set for immediate homing, so it will home at any position it is when you press home.
I am guessing the issue is that the B axis has to be at some specific angle, not just anywhere ?
I do not think that is possible without some kind of position feedback, so a switch must be used, or you can jog it to where it should be and home there, but that will not be precise.

More
30 Apr 2020 04:23 #166186 by Cutter07
Yeah I was think that I may need a switch, but given that its being used for angular motion this is not possible. Its not the end of the world, I can jog it to the position I need it and re home the three axis.

This is a prototype machine I am making, with steppers just for cost purposes. When I change to servos motors this should not be an issue, is that write? Servo's (with and index or encoder) know where there are?

More
30 Apr 2020 07:03 #166192 by tommylight

Yeah I was think that I may need a switch, but given that its being used for angular motion this is not possible. Its not the end of the world, I can jog it to the position I need it and re home the three axis.

This is a prototype machine I am making, with steppers just for cost purposes. When I change to servos motors this should not be an issue, is that write? Servo's (with and index or encoder) know where there are?

No need to rehome 3 axis, you can unhome only the axis you need from the machine menu, unhome, choose axis to unhome.
And it should be possible to add a sensor or switch, there is always a moving and a stationary part of an axis, sensor on the stationary part.
And you probably can home an angular axis with servos, but only if they do have absolute encoders, for anything else you do need a sensor.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds