Homing continues to baffle us

More
07 May 2020 01:07 #166916 by CFE
Hi all,

Once again we are getting caught out in mysterious ways by the Stepconf wizard and LinuxCNC. We got our plasma cutter up and running with PlasmaC/Gmoccapy (by the way, PlasmaC THC works like a charm !). So we thought we set up our home/limit switches and we would be looking pretty good. I ran the Stepconf wizard on a test configuration to get the INI and Hal file entries right, so I plucked the relevant lines from the generated INI and Hal file and pasted them in the configuration we are using.

To be sure I commented out the lines in the Hal file that connect the home/limit switches to the X- and Z-axis, with the idea to test the homing on the Y-axis first. But straight away I got a joint limit switch error, although in HAL Show I see the switch and it's associated HAL pins are not tripped yet. When I comment out the 3 lines in HAL with 'net both-home-y => ......' then the software starts and I can commence homing on Y, but of course it doesn't find the switch because the relevant pins are not connected. What's going wrong here ? Is the name of the Hal pin wrong, e.g. is joint.2.home-sw-in (or the other 2 related entries) wrong ? Or is it something in the INI file related to the Y-axis ?

I think part of the problem for us is that I can't find a decent description of halpins anywhere, the man pages are a bit difficult to decipher. I have tried different values and combinations in the INI file for all homing related entries, but to no avail. So I am leaning toward the thought that there is something is not quite right in the Hal file, but what ?

Cheers, Peter
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2020 02:04 #166923 by cmorley
Can you post the actual error message?

More
07 May 2020 10:21 #166951 by phillc54
You will need values in the ini file for the three HOME_XXX_VELOCITY parameters.

More
07 May 2020 10:36 #166953 by tommylight
HOME_SEARCH_VEL = 0
That is in your ini, one of the axis has no number after it mind you, so that will make the machine move at 0 velocity while homing, or not move at all.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds