General network issue affecting 7i76e connection

More
26 Jul 2020 13:09 #175893 by simonmn
Hello

Yesterday I wanted to make a shared folder in the ncfiles directory, so that my main PC(laptop) with cam on it could save directly onto the machine. Its so nice! Did it on my lathe.

But as soon as I connected the laptop to the machine pc (ethernet via a usb adapter) I became unable to use the 7i76e at all. Linuxcnc reported "Network unreachable", no ping, nothing after reboot of machine pc with and without the laptop connected, or power cycling the 7i76e. Tried what felt like every forum post available to no avail.
Became really frustrated, so left the machine be for the day.

Went out again today with a more clear head. Tried just starting up as normal without the laptop, and boom, it works.
Began testing some different stuff, and made it work with some hoops:

Start the machine with the laptop connected,
go into network manager,
change gateway to 10.10.10.1,
go into the routes and uncheck "use this connection only for resources on its network",
save save save, close the network manager, reopen the network manager again, and undo all of what I just did.
After that, both the 7i76e and the laptop can apparently co-exist.

I'm pretty certain this is a debian issue I have created, and not a linuxcnc, especially then reading: Tommylights post

It sound like a copy paste issue of what tommy is describing in the bottom of his post, but I can't figure out how to fix it.
The 7i76e never came up in the network manager, so it hindered some of the steps for me.

Here is some screen shots I took of the various ip's and etc. I'll be happy to provide more if this isn't useful:

This one is the connection to the laptop (Bærbar)

Hope you guys can help me.
Thank you in advance!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2020 14:30 #175902 by tommylight
In the tutorial you linked to there is no mention of editing the interfaces file, yet your interface file is edited, and those two do not work together.
Ultimately you will have to decide if you want to use the method from that tutorial OR the usual method from the docs by editing the interfaces file, not both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: simonmn

More
26 Jul 2020 16:12 #175922 by PCW
You can use the interfaces file and the network manager together,
just not on the same device. If you do this, the device that is setup
in the interfaces file will appears as "unmanaged" in the network manager
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, simonmn

More
26 Jul 2020 17:47 #175937 by tommylight
Thank you PCW, forgot he has two network cards.

More
27 Jul 2020 19:40 #176136 by simonmn
Hey again.

Didn´t think about the complications of using both. Just dumped the next potential fix into the corresponding place... not that smart in hindsight :laugh:

Went full interface file, and after some fiddling around, it worked. Thanks Tommy for pointing out the issue!

Here is the new entry for anyone who might use it
# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0     <------- don't know if these are necessary, but seems to make it work for me
allow-hotplug eth1

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 10.10.10.11
netmask 255.255.255.0

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.1.12
netmask 255.255.255.0

eth1 worked for me after I removed the gateway. Don't know if this is because I defined it incorrect or if its not needed in direct lan connections. Not too strong in linux other than the basics of basic.

Still have some weird issue with the 7i76e. If I start linuxcnc to quick after boot, it opens but shortly after spits out a bunch of read errors, and seemingly looses connection. This can be fixed by waiting shortly and trying again. Could this be a issue with the hot-plug?

Thanks!

More
27 Jul 2020 19:46 - 27 Jul 2020 19:47 #176141 by tommylight
That is usually caused by a slow or failing hard drive.
Or to little memory.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2020 19:47 by tommylight. Reason: More info

More
27 Jul 2020 19:53 #176142 by simonmn
ooff that's not what I expected. Going to backup more often then. Going to check the ram load next time as well. Know this is not the place to ask, but do you need more than 4gb for linuxcnc?

More
27 Jul 2020 20:27 #176147 by rodw

ooff that's not what I expected. Going to backup more often then. Going to check the ram load next time as well. Know this is not the place to ask, but do you need more than 4gb for linuxcnc?

No 4Gb is fine. I was told to get 2gb but could not find the memory chips!
The following user(s) said Thank You: simonmn

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds