VFD modbus gmoccapy...oh my!!

More
31 Oct 2020 20:29 #187943 by sliptonic
I have a Supermax milling machine (basically a bridgeport) running lcnc 2.9.

I use a Huanyang HY series vfd to drive the spindle motor. The mill has a varispeed.

My current configuration is here: github.com/sliptonic/millstone/tree/linuxcnc-2.9-gmoccapy

Recently the VFD took a lightning strike and needed to be replaced. Since I'm going through that process, I thought I might like to convert it to control the VFD with modbus. That would clean up the wiring a lot.

I've installed the HY-VFD component and configured the vfd per all the instructions associated with that component, various posts, and a youtube video or two. But no dice. When I turn on on the spindle in gmoccapy, nothing happens.
My naive configuration is in a different branch: github.com/sliptonic/millstone/tree/vfd_modbus

Any help is very much appreciated.

On another point, I've had an account on this board for over ten years and I still feel like an idiot every time I have to post. As much as I love this software, I really find it difficult to find useful information. The community is great but I ALWAYS have to post and ask a question. I never find anything useful searching and posting is no small challenge. For example consider this post. There are seven subtopic areas under 'Configuring LinuxCNC' I could only rule out two of them when trying to decide where to post. Is this 'basic configuration' or 'Advanced', or is it a 'HAL' question. Maybe I'm in the wrong area entirely. Should I be posting in the gmoccapy thread or the section about milling machines?

When I search for information, it default to only the last 12 months. Is that because older information is unreliable or is it because of indexing to make the site faster. I have no idea.

I hate the fact that my profile avatar says 'Expert Boarder' because I'm clearly still an idiot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2020 20:57 - 31 Oct 2020 21:26 #187945 by BeagleBrainz
The motor itself survived the strike I trust.
You can also try looking at the docs, there is a lot of useful information there.

I found this, not too sure if you came upon it, might be a good way to check that the basic comms work.
forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...vfd-via-rs485#161263
Last edit: 31 Oct 2020 21:26 by BeagleBrainz.

More
31 Oct 2020 21:56 #187950 by sliptonic
The short procedure for testing the communication is helpful. That should be part of the basic documentation for the hy_vfd module.

After playing with it I found one config bug and then was able to start the spindle from halrun. I adapted my config and can now turn on the spindle from gmoccapy but the scaling is completely wrong. How do I scale the input from the GUI to the modbus output?

More
31 Oct 2020 22:37 #187952 by sliptonic
Added a scale component and got the output in a reasonable range. Will test for a while.
Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds