LinuxCNC engraver example - quill withdraw too fast - Pico USC - BP BOSS mill

More
09 Apr 2021 20:04 #205463 by dansawyer
The system is 2.8.0 with a Pico Universal Stepper and Geiko 203v drivers. The machine is a Bridgport Series 1 CNC
Most everything appears to be working correnctly, however the quill withdraw between leters is faster than the machine can handle. The result is over the course of the engraving the quill goes lower and lower. That is the withdraw misses steps and the slow decent does not.
The quill appears to be missing steps on the withdraw.
What is the variable controlling maximum rate? Should I look at maximum rate or maximum acceleratoin?
The X and Y configurations are working corectly.
I hope this is the right place to ask this. Thank you in advance - Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2021 20:35 #205469 by tommylight
Max_velocity
and
max_acceleration for that joint/axis in the ini file, lower them by quite a bit.

More
09 Apr 2021 21:30 #205479 by dansawyer
Thank you.
I am using an ini template from Pico USC. It has both a Joint and Axis sections. Should there be only one or the other, but not both?
What is the difference between a Joint and an Axis? Are they complementary or mutially exclusive?
Thanks, Dan

More
10 Apr 2021 21:26 #205561 by andypugh
Joints are the physical actuators. Axes are the XYZ directions in space.

For many machines they are very nearly the same thing, but LinuxCNC treats them separately (It didn't for years, and it caused a whole lot of issues, this way is better)

From the user point of view, most machines run in joint mode until homed and then in axis mode. On a cartesian machine you probably won't see the difference.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds