Help please - Linear Scale only homing

More
13 Mar 2022 09:05 #237089 by whatwasIthinking
First Post. Am totally blown away by LinuxCNC and the people who make it what it is - so thanks in advance.

I am using a 7I76e (final config includes 7I89 & 7I88) and have 3 axis working nicely with linear scales providing positional feedback and stepper control (only configured y axis linear scale in attached HAL/ini). The y axis linear scale works brilliantly, I am just having a hard time configuring homing to use the linear scale only (no switches). I can see RAWCOUNT and it would seem a small step to set HOME to the linear scale's RAWCOUNT home position (in my case -80,000). But I am still getting my head around HAL/ini/homing config and hoping to get some advice to get past my current floundering.
Any help appreciated. Cheers Pete

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2022 09:30 #237094 by chris@cnc
Hi Pete,
for index-only homing is set "search_vel" to zero.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/config/ini-ho....html#_configuration
Example sniped from my config
HOME_SEARCH_VEL = 0.000000
HOME_LATCH_VEL = -5.000000
HOME_FINAL_VEL = 1.000000
HOME_USE_INDEX = YES

More
15 Mar 2022 14:43 #237334 by andypugh
Is this a scale with a single index pulse in the middle of travel, or does it have an index which is high at one side of the centre and low at the other?

More
16 Mar 2022 04:11 #237431 by whatwasIthinking
Thanks Chris - sry had some bid work on so just getting back to this now. Will try and report back.

More
16 Mar 2022 04:22 #237433 by whatwasIthinking
Hi Andy. I dont know enough to know. Rawcounts appears to be zero in the middle of the scale if that helps. I have a 1m DC10 for x and 1.5m for y. Ditron.com. Both TTL 5um. Should I be trying to view in Halscope to understand the index pulse?

loving the feedback loop. I can push lightly on the Y gantry and the stepper reacts and pushes back to keep the position stable. All the while 'appearing' to hold 0.005mm accuracy. Am designing a mark2 machine and this really suggests to me that active compensation means I dont need literal tons of cast iron to get high precision...

More
16 Mar 2022 04:39 #237434 by whatwasIthinking
Hi Chris, tried:
HOME_SEARCH_VEL = 0.000000 (as well as your other settings)

Machine behaves as before ie will home to whatever was y=0 when LinuxCNC is first initiated. Will double check / reread the homing manual and keep tinkering.
Cheers

More
17 Mar 2022 06:32 #237518 by whatwasIthinking

Is this a scale with a single index pulse in the middle of travel, or does it have an index which is high at one side of the centre and low at the other?

Rawcounts=0 in the middle of the scale. According to the manual:
"Encoder Zero Position: 1 every 50mm"

HOME_SEARCH_VEL=0 didn't change anything.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks

More
17 Mar 2022 06:46 #237519 by whatwasIthinking
Could it be related to the encorder begin 08?
I have a 7189 (not plugged in yet) which provides 0-7 and 8 is the encoder off the 7i76e.
hm2_7i76e.0.encoder.08 is working great for positional feedback - its only homing I am having difficulty with.

relevant line from my hal file:
net y-index-enable joint.1.index-enable <=> hm2_7i76e.0.encoder.08.index-enable

More
17 Mar 2022 16:47 #237538 by andypugh
rawcounts will start from zero at whatever position the scale was in when LinuxCNC started, if the scales are quadrature. If they are absolute then the answers are different.

Some encoders have regular index pulses with variable gaps between them, so you know where you after seeing two of them.

Do you have a link to the documentation for the scales?

More
22 Mar 2022 06:22 #237995 by whatwasIthinking
It must be absolute then. I have tapped the position on the scale where Rawcounts = 0 and it returns to it irrespective of the position it was in when LinuxCNC started. It is in the middle of the scale. Negative rawcounts one end, positive the other.

hk076c1b.pic36.websiteonline.cn/upload/t...t-DCLINEARSCALES.pdf
www.dcoee.com/Download
I will try to attach pics of manual pages shortly. The relavent piece is "Encoder Zero Position: 1 ever 50mm"

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds