Any example .ini & .hal files from folks using net all-limit-home successfully?

More
06 Sep 2022 14:11 #251295 by Waldemar
Afternoon all,

I think I've perhaps posted here previously (many moons ago) - hello again.

I'm currently setting up a Mesa 7i96 (using Pncconf Wizard) to drive my router and so far so good - decent smooth motion from the drivers, axes moving correctly, no blue smoke.

One thing I've tried to do (and had no success) is to use only one input pin to sense the signal for all limits and home:

This is how I had my router set-up to run off my old control box via parallel port and it worked well.  I'm doing all the obvious things correctly (I think) - my input pin is illuminating (double checked it in the HAL configuration 'watch' tab - all good) but LinuxCNC simply doesn't pick it up.  I've tried both NPN and PNP switches (+24VDC going to pin 12 with the former, pin 12 grounded with the latter etc.).

I'm also aware that each axis needs to be homed individually and that each joint needs the HOME-IGNORE-LIMITS and HOME-SHARED parameters to be set as TRUE - although my problem here is that the software simply isn't picking up the signal - for example, with the machine on and idle I'd expect a joint error to be triggered when I activate the switch, but - nothing.

I've now set the router up so that IN0 picks up X home and limit IN1 Y home and limit and IN2 Z home and limit and it's working as expected:

I'm just curious as to why I couldn't get it working - does anyone have an .ini and a .hal file I can have a look at (obviously - from a set-up that uses a single pin for all home/limits) to see perhaps where I was going wrong?

One thing I did notice - in my old parallel port .hal file there are three lines in each AXIS chunk that echo the reference to the paraport.0.pin line that appears earlier in the code - in the .hal file written by Pncconf Wizard, you'll notice that the three lines of code appear as they would if the switches weren't being shared, which I thought was weird:

I did change this just to see what would happen, but it made no difference...

Anyway, I'm happy enough using three pins - just thought I'd ask about why the single pin method doesn't seem to be working...

Wal.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2022 15:55 #251309 by PCW
Can you post your current hal/ini files?

My guess is that pncconf did not make all the needed
connections for a shared home configuration.

More
06 Sep 2022 19:18 #251341 by Waldemar
Sure thing.  Attaching examples of the .hal and .ini files generated during my attempts at sharing all home/limit events to a single pin.

Wal.

File Attachment:

File Name: EXAMPLE.hal
File Size:8 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: EXAMPLE.ini
File Size:4 KB
Attachments:

More
06 Sep 2022 23:15 #251367 by phillc54
You probably need to update you LinuxCNC version, I ran PnCconf on 2.8.3 and it seems to add the required connections there.
# Generated by PNCconf at Tue Aug 30 14:08:05 2022
# Using LinuxCNC version:  2.8.3

These are what is added (different numbers for each joint):
net all-limit-home     =>  joint.0.home-sw-in
net all-limit-home     =>  joint.0.neg-lim-sw-in
net all-limit-home     =>  joint.0.pos-lim-sw-in

More
07 Sep 2022 12:16 #251397 by Waldemar
Hey Phil, thanks.

I had another look at the .hal file uploaded - my numbers are indeed different for each joint.

net x-home-sw => joint.0.home-sw-in
net x-neg-limit => joint.0.neg-lim-sw-in
net x-pos-limit => joint.0.pos-lim-sw-in

I notice that in your snippet the bit before the joint number says:

net all-limit-home

As mentioned in my OP, this is what I would have expected to see (based on the .hal file I was using with my parallel port set-up). The Pncconfig utility in 2.8.2 appears to be writing this bit like it would for a conventional multi-pin configuration. I did edit my .hal file to reflect how I'd expect it to appear, but it made no difference, so maybe there's something else in there that's causing the issue?

Anyway - it's no biggie - you are most likely correct with the steer on 2.8.3 - I'll get it updated (although I'll stick to the three pin set-up now that I've wired it all in..!)

Thanks again.

Wal.

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds