WHB04B-6 Pendant Permissions

More
15 Sep 2022 14:18 #251997 by mburham
Hello O' Wise Forum Frequenters,
I am new to Linuxcnc and I have some of the basics working on a little CNC, but I am running into some issues (or what I perceive to be issues) with integrating a wireless whb04b pendant. I am running Linuxcnc on a raspberry pi 4. I see the device in lsusb. I have a udev file created with the USB address captured in the vendor and product sections, and it matches what I see in lsusb. The owner in the udev file is set to root and the group is plugdev. I am unable to get the pendant to connect to AXIS in the hal pin show, it stays red. I tried doing some initial debug and I think the problem is with permissions. I saw some anomalies with the standalone UI:

When I run "xhc-whb04b-6 -ue" as user pi, it never gets past waiting for the device.

When I run "sudo xhc-whb04b-6 -ue" it launches the driver and I am able to see the pendant wheels and buttons working.

The few videos I have followed, it looked like they all ran the command as a normal user. Does this appear to be normal? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2022 16:11 #252010 by mburham
The same issue manifests itself when I run from "halrun" and not directly from command line. If I don't start it by "sudo halrun" and then "loadusr -W xhc-whb04b-6 -ue", then it never connects to the hand controller.

More
21 Sep 2022 13:36 #252507 by mburham
I have also verified that the user "pi" has permissions to access the "plugdev" group by comparing the results from running "id pi". Not much progress thus far, will continue to update if I find anything.

More
25 Sep 2022 02:11 #252692 by mburham
Welp... I booted a live USB on a normal laptop and the pendant worked right away without adding the udev file. I flashed a new raspberry pi image, didn't create the udev file, and the pendant works fine as user pi and I don't need to run anything with Sudo. Copied over my old configuration files and I can jog the machine in the AXIS GUI. At some point, between trying to get my 7i96s to work, I dorked something up in the original image. Stick a fork in this problem for now, I'm off to start on the next one...

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds