Strange Speed Oscillations on X and Y Axes with Timing Belts and Steppers - Need

More
12 Mar 2023 21:48 - 12 Mar 2023 21:50 #266518 by Absurd
Hi there,I have a self-built CNC www.unclephil.de/volksfr%C3%A4se-vf1/ in 850x650mm. Last week, I installed glass scales and noticed strange speed oscillations on the X and Y axes (see screenshot). Both axes use timing belts and steppers set to 6400 steps per revolution. The oscillations are particularly severe at 1000mm/min and are visible. The Z-axis, which is driven by a ball screw, does not have these issues. I have attached my configurations for reference.

Here's what I have tested so far:
  • Various settings (speeds and accelerations)
  • Removed motor (runs normally)
  • Tensioned timing belt
  • Moved X-axis without the motor (moves easily)
  • Checked all screws
Do you have any ideas on what else I could check? Or is it just the timing belt and should I switch to a ball screw?Thanks!
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Mar 2023 21:50 by Absurd.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2023 22:22 #266520 by rodw
I think its likley to be resonance from the stepper becasue you are using direct drive and from what I can work out 64mm of travel per revolution.
I initially made the same mistake.
Ref: forum.linuxcnc.org/30-cnc-machines/31509...pinion-drive?start=0

You'll see I made a 3:1 reduction that fitted where the motor was...

More
12 Mar 2023 22:42 #266522 by Absurd
Thanks for your answer. If I'm not mistaken it's 90mm travel per revolution. (71 steps per mm, 6400 steps per revolution). A Higher Value would be better in this regard, right?

I ordered Ball screw mounts and Ball screws with 5mm pitch last week actually. This would be still a direct drive. Would this setup also be prone to these problems?

More
12 Mar 2023 23:40 #266523 by tommylight

Thanks for your answer. If I'm not mistaken it's 90mm travel per revolution. (71 steps per mm, 6400 steps per revolution).

That is utterly unusable for anything with any mass, and it is not 71 steps/mm, it is 2.2 steps/mm.
Microsteps are not steps, they are small move in between the actual steps.

A Higher Value would be better in this regard, right?

Of what? Microstepping? See above.

I ordered Ball screw mounts and Ball screws with 5mm pitch last week actually. This would be still a direct drive. Would this setup also be prone to these problems?

This is very usable for a mill, even 10mm pitch is still good.
Direct drive for this is OK, and most machines use this way of driving.
And, no problems with this setup, no flex so no vibrations.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds