Omron MX2 VFD using rs485 USB adapter

More
15 Jul 2023 14:46 - 15 Jul 2023 15:11 #275514 by Markgonz
Hello friends,

My milling machine build is coming along and now I wanted to finally control my high frequency Spindle from linuxcnc that is running on an intel Minipc, I do have a mesa card 7i96S but I wanted to be able to use rs485 if possible

The VFD is fully configured and I can control the spindle manually and works well, I have set the parameters for it to work from modbus inputs and turn a resistor switch as the manual says. Also I have the rs485 adapter wired with a twisted pair to terminals SN and SP.
If I do lsusb on terminal I can see the usb adapter show.

Keep in mind I am a noob and is my first CNC build, until this point it has been for the most part easy, but now seems really hard after reading all these forum threads:

forum.linuxcnc.org/49-basic-configuratio...-usb-adaptor?start=0
forum.linuxcnc.org/10-advanced-configura...hi-wj200-over-modbus
forum.linuxcnc.org/25-classicladder/3313...-wj200-setup?start=0

My understanding is that in theory is about making a custom hal file and and ini file  but seems that the hitachi wj200 driver that could work only works if you use a converter RS232-485 that I can not use since I am using a minipc that doesn't have that port, and other option is to make it work with MB2HAL.

Other option would be make it work using Ethercat but also seems really complex and I don't have an Ethercat setup at the moment.

So I am surprised that it is so complicated since the mx2 vfd is really popular in Germany and Europe I would guess.

If anyone has made it work or has any suggestion I really appreciate it!

Last edit: 15 Jul 2023 15:11 by Markgonz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2023 23:26 #275549 by rodw
a USB to rs485  will work fine. It works for me.
Once it changed the TTY port number but that is not unusual with USB serial ports. 
After that it never changed again.

More
16 Jul 2023 00:04 #275551 by tommylight
Maybe this can help remove address change
ls /dev/serial*
will show usb stuff by path and by id, literally, so use the by-id address and name
Works for 3D printers flawlessly, as i have several of those with 2 boards and changing ports will also change the tty name, this follows the ID.

More
16 Jul 2023 19:11 #275594 by Markgonz

a USB to rs485  will work fine. It works for me.
Once it changed the TTY port number but that is not unusual with USB serial ports. 
After that it never changed again.

I can see it should work in theory but seems that the driver that works with Omron Mx2 is the Hitachi WJ200 and seems it has issues, after more research I found a guy that made it work uses a custom userspace HAL component that uses libmodbus, this is his video and documentation, however doesn't give details on the HAL file

www.cncwiki.org/index.php?title=Hitachi_WJ200_Series_VFDs

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen>

More
16 Jul 2023 23:50 #275604 by rodw
Youu might also like to lock ad vfdmod.. Search the forum for it.
I have a different VFD but that is what I use.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds