Reversing axes direction with external step generator

More
29 Oct 2023 20:05 #284070 by slc
I have been using Linuxcnc with parallel port stepper drives for many years, and now just out of interest I am trying the esp32 ethernet step generator
here  github.com/jzolee/HAL2UDP as I believe a few other people here have done also.

It is basically working, I can jog ok but the axes directions are reversed. Can this be corrected in the hal or ini file?
I tried inverting SCALE in the ini file but then the machine refuses to move at all and I think the stepper drives were not even enabled after doing this.
I have become a bit blase about setting up parallel port systems but this has taken me right back to day 1 of config confusion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2023 21:04 #284077 by tommylight
You can switch 2 wires of the same winding on the stepper motor to change direction, if everything else fails.
ONLY while the drive is powered OFF!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grotius

More
29 Oct 2023 22:00 #284079 by slc
I don't want to faff with the machine. I have several machines, including this one, set up so that I can just plug a parallel port cable into them with Linuxcnc or grbl or whatever on the other end of the cable and they all operate the same. I don't want one odd machine.

More
30 Oct 2023 02:11 #284094 by tommylight
What scale did you invert?
That always works, no matter what or how or when, it works, and it has nothing to do with drive enable or motors not moving.
Did you edit the ini file on a Windows machine? That will almost always mess things as it uses different line endings.

More
30 Oct 2023 06:42 #284102 by slc
I haven't used windows since 1998  apart from one machine (not this one) that still uses proprietary code on a 24 year old win98 computer :-)

When daylight arrives here I will go back out to the shop and capture the network data packets to try and figure out what is going on.

Like I said this is just out of interest, I recently retired, all the big machines have gone, I only have small desktop machines and a lot of time. 

More
30 Oct 2023 09:43 #284108 by slc
I just had another go at this and I can see why the steppers did not enable before.
If I set scale in the ini file to a positive value the machine homes the Z axis perfectly to the wrong end of its travel.
When I set scale to a negative value I get an instant 'joint following error' on the axis.
I am on a twin monitor system and the message was popping up right on the corner join between the two monitors and I didn't see it before.
I'm trying all this on a laptop for the first time and have now started getting realtime error messages so it is time to abandon this computer and try one of the others I have lying around. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds