New 3d probe

More
13 Apr 2024 20:21 #298201 by Jeff_in_Wa
New 3d probe was created by Jeff_in_Wa
Previously, I have had a tool setter n/c and a two wire 3d probe connected in series to pin 15 of my BOB

I replaced my basic probe with a 3 wire, still n/c one

Wiring instructions

Red - Signal positive
White - Signal negative
Shield ground

I have attached the wiring diagram I have used to hook it up to pin 15 of my BOB and ground.  (One on right)

Following the instructions, I don't get the probe internal led to light in standby as it should.  If I 
swap the white and red wires, the led lights up.  Neither configuration will toggle pin 15 as I watch 
the HAL pin.  

I tried using 5vdc as the source voltage, and 24 vdc.  No change.

All of the other limit switch pins are working with proximity detectors at 24v

I have tested pin15 manually with a jumper and Hal toggles.  

I have verified with the mfg of the probe that it's in fact n/c.  He verified yes, and that the led should light
when not tripped as it's wired in series with the device.

Any suggestions?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2024 21:13 #298204 by zmrdko
Replied by zmrdko on topic New 3d probe
can you try this?

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: routerman22

More
13 Apr 2024 22:56 #298206 by Jeff_in_Wa
Replied by Jeff_in_Wa on topic New 3d probe
Thank you for your time. It seems that your other way of wiring didn't produce the fix.

I am wondering if I need a pull up or pull down resistor on pin 15?

This probe, when connect to a power supply for testing... supplying 24v to the red wire, against the shield, doesn't illuminate the internal led. But if I connect a meter to ground and the signal out lead, white, the internal led lights. What are your thoughts with this?

More
14 Apr 2024 05:01 #298217 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic New 3d probe
Not sure about the LED but aren't most of these probes NPN? Are you expecting 24v+ out of the signal wire? If it's NPN the signal wire will be ground, not 24v+. If your BOB has a sinking input, you won't the output of an NPN sensor won't trigger it.

Try connecting ground to the shield if that's where it goes, 24v+ to the red wire and measure voltage between the red wire and white (signal) wire with your meter, if you see 24v your sensor has a sinking output (NPN).

If that is the case you can get your BOB to see it by pulling up the BOB input with something like a 10k resistor to V+ then the signal wire of the sensor will pull it down when it's not activated (NC). When it's activated and the sensor switch opens the resistor will pull the bob input back up and you will see an active high

More
15 Apr 2024 00:00 #298262 by Jeff_in_Wa
Replied by Jeff_in_Wa on topic New 3d probe
Solved!
Thank you both for your assistance.  After a lot of experimenting, trying to get this probe integrated into 
my tool setter, the seller / mfg sent me a suggestion.  (see attachment)   It works.  

I would have never thought to try wiring it this way, but it just works.  I also have a connector on my gantry
that I use to connect the probe to when setting up a job.  When not using the probe, I have a shorting 
plug that I put into the connector so that the tool setter still works.  With this wiring, that plug works fine. 

Great forum.   
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds