Newbie here pin assignment

More
19 Apr 2024 17:10 #298629 by Spope
I am trying to resurrect an old hobby CNC from the 90s with no manual. How can I find the pin assignment for the 25 pin parallel port connection in order to configure it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2024 17:40 #298635 by tommylight
Lots of pictures...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spope

More
20 Apr 2024 07:10 #298700 by cornholio
Multimeter, a good eye,be methodical, lots of notes & diagrams, and triple check everything.

The good thing is there should only be 17 signal pins to check.

More
20 Apr 2024 11:15 #298720 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Newbie here pin assignment
I think I would set up a stepgen running at 10Hz or so in LinuxCNC, connect that to a wire, join the LinuxCNC and Controller grounds and see if that pulsing wire had any obvious effect when poked into the controller pin sockets.

Also, you could run the parport tester to see where the limit switch inputs are.

Actually, the parport tester is probably a good starting point, assuming that the socket is actually a parallel port. (One way to find out is to check that the pins that are GND in a parport are GND in the controller)

The parport tester is in the config picker when you start LinuxCNC: : configs-apps-parport

(This does assume that you have an actual parport to test with)

More
28 Apr 2024 19:48 #299271 by Spope
Replied by Spope on topic Newbie here pin assignment
Sorry for the late response. Truth is I found the replies quite daunting and so turned my attention to trying to get the software running. After repeated attempts I finally managed to get the exe file off the floppy disk and on to the harddrive. Once that was accomplished and DOS commands jogged from memory I managed to get it all running, well almost all. There's also a rotating axis which can run on one of the one of the three axises and which I think I'll wait a bit with. The DOS program is all in German which doesn't help a lot.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds