Linuxcnc, google and other search engin, tags, ways to promote Linuxcnc ........

More
27 Apr 2020 09:28 #165770 by tommylight
Just had a search through google for:
diy cnc
diy plasma cnc
retrofit cnc
diy cnc plasma
Of the hundred's of results, none of them were from Linuxcnc !
This came on as i was thinking about the machines i am building, and a lot of machines built by other members on this forum, but searching the web will not find any of them, so that poses a problem for Linuxcnc's widening of user base.
What can we do to improve this ? Any ideas are welcomed.
So far we have a member trying to do something about the web site, here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/51-ot-posts/38720-pro...dback-please?start=0
So if anyone can help, please do.
Another thing that would help is for new post of any build, mentioning "diy cnc machine" or "retrofit of cnc machine" in the title or anywhere should improve chances of search engines bumping into it.
Thank you,
Tom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2020 10:59 #165789 by rodw
Probably one of the biggest issues is that we don't have any search engine meta data on our pages.

Here is a random example from my web site.
<meta name="description" content="The Bilstein suspension kit features quality Kings Springs, renowned Bilstein B6 Monotube shock absorbers and modified struts with an adjustable threaded body designed to handle the extra travel required for a 2-3&quot; lift."/>
<meta name="keywords" content="Bilstein Adjustable Coilover  50-75mm Suspension Lift kit Suit Toyota Hilux KUN26/N70/Vigo"/>
<meta name="robots" content="INDEX,FOLLOW"/>
<meta name="title" content="Bilstein Adjustable Coilover  50-75mm Suspension Lift kit Suit Toyota Hilux KUN26/N70/Vigo"/>

I'm not saying this is a good example but it does prove point.

I just looked at the Plasma Primer and none of those fields exist in the source...

Did I tell you metadata is the bane of my life!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel, tommylight

More
27 Apr 2020 11:01 #165790 by tommylight

Did I tell you metadata is the bane of my life!

Been there, done that, so i feel your pain.

More
05 May 2020 22:15 #166804 by travis036
i see your point here. i will do my best to help from my end. a few modifications on my website, and when i do videos of my CNC router on my YouTube channel, i will make sure to tag LinuxCNC. as for my website, i have been meaning to document my CNC better on there. i will be sure to mention that i use LinuxCNC, and so forth.
if nothing else, it will do well to help others here to help me if i have a "one stop shop" for all the details. and will help me too, if i forget something important. ;)

but i agree, this forum has 12555 members (at the time of writing), so if 75% of them have LinuxCNC in use, that's about 9416 voices that could help promote LinuxCNC. as with any open source project, the more users, the more variety of hardware combinations, and the more compatibility issues that can be (hopefully) fixed, and added to the expansive list of hardware.

i shall work on an update on my website (because i have such a huge fan-base on my website and YouTube channel ;) ), just to do my small part.

~Travis
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
05 May 2020 22:50 #166814 by tommylight
Travis, thank you very much.
As for users, i am pretty sure there are much more, but some of them get their machines working without asking for help or registering here, some do register and once their machine is working never come back or at least till they bump into other difficulties, and some come here just to help others.
That is all fine.
The main issue for me is, i build a lot of machines, some i do post here and on youtube ( well lately anyway ), but most of them do not have DIY, shop built, hand made or the sorts, but all of them do have Linuxcnc, so not much help for someone searching for "DIY machine build" or "hot to build a cnc machine" or "cnc machine build log".
I am getting better at it, slowly! :)
Regards,
Tom.

More
06 May 2020 10:25 #166855 by rodw
From memory Youtube allows 5000 chracters of description. Use it all, stuff it with keywords and include links back to Linuxcnc. Create your videos to talk to selected keywords before you film it....
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds